I noticed that the mesa-demos tarball contains *many* demos which are probably unneeded by most users, and that the Debian mesa-utils package merely installs 4 tools. (The reason I wanted to package this in first place was just to get glxinfo(1), which is one of these four.) So I copied that solution after all. Updated patches below. The glproto propagated input is not in any .pc file so I positioned the comment accordingly. I don't know why glproto is propagated; maybe it's obvious for someone who knows X.Org and Mesa well / the original packager.