Hi Ludo, Ludovic Courtès writes: >> I believe it suffers from 2 main issues: >> >> - Geiser is a strong dependency: everything depends from a well-working >> Geiser REPL. > > That’s a feature! That'd be true if Geiser would indeed help us with Guix. But here it actually provides almost no benefits and costs us a lot. Indeed, the *Guix REPL* buffer - is not required to build packages, - does not work to build packages because Geiser chokes on it, - cannot interrupt some operations (https://gitlab.com/emacs-geiser/geiser/-/issues/11). The benefits are few as I've experienced them: - Traces are not interactive, which makes them not so useful: https://gitlab.com/emacs-geiser/geiser/-/issues/10 - Guix traces are hard to read anyways (I guess this is mostly due to our client / daemon architecture). > Not a problem if Emacs-Guix were maintained, IMO. We can talk to each > other, jao (the Geiser maintainer and primary developer) has always been > responsive and helpful. True, the maintainer is responsive, sadly the issues I'm talking about are hard to solve I think, they've been left hanging for a while now: - https://gitlab.com/emacs-geiser/geiser/-/issues/9 - https://gitlab.com/emacs-geiser/geiser/-/issues/11 Unless someone wants to roll up their sleeves and fix these, Geiser will remain a deal-breaker for Emacs-Guix. I'd like insist: in the current state of Geiser, we cannot leverage it reliably in Emacs-Guix. We need to talk to Guix directly, e.g. with `guix repl` like I've done in Nyxt. Cheers! -- Pierre Neidhardt https://ambrevar.xyz/