unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* python: setuptools version doens’t match guix package version / packaging python-ipydatawidgets
@ 2021-11-10 18:52 Théo Maxime Tyburn
From: Théo Maxime Tyburn @ 2021-11-10 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guixs,

I am trying to package "python-ipydatawidgets" which relies on
"python-jupyter-packaging" which in turn relies on
"python-setuptools". It fails seemingly because the setuptools version
is outdated (41.2.0) even if the guix pakage python-setuptools is said
to have version 52.0.0 or 58.0.0

To test the version of setuptools I ran:
> guix shell --pure python-setuptools@52.0.0 python python-ipython --
> ipython -c "import setuptools; setuptools.__version__"
>Out[1]: '41.2.0'

Looking at the source code of setuptools in my store and comparing it to
the setuptools source on github I seems outdated indeed. I located the
source in the store with
> guix shell --pure python-setuptools@52.0.0 python python-ipython --
> ipython -c "import setuptools; setuptools.__file__"
> Out[1]:
> '/gnu/store/sd2ic7bpv8fx3imy1j8xcjclx71sv6q0-python-3.8.2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/setuptools/__init__.py'

I don’t understand how this could happen though since the definition of
python-setuptools seems just fine in python-xyz.scm ...

I pretty knew to packaging so I might be missing something obvious. Any idea ?

Cheers,

Théo

* Re: python: setuptools version doens’t match guix package version / packaging python-ipydatawidgets
@ 2021-11-10 21:00 ` Théo Maxime Tyburn
From: Théo Maxime Tyburn @ 2021-11-10 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I managed to package "python-ipydatawidgets" in the end. I just added
"python-setuptools" to the inputs. So it was easy. I thought setuptools
is always present in the build phase of python packages, my
bad.

Though this still doesn’t clear this mystery about the version of
setuptools not being the right one...

@ 2021-11-11 13:27 ` Lars-Dominik Braun
From: Lars-Dominik Braun @ 2021-11-11 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Théo Maxime Tyburn; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Théo,

> I don’t understand how this could happen though since the definition of
> python-setuptools seems just fine in python-xyz.scm ...
unfortunately our python package bundles setuptools 41.2.0, which will
collide with python-setuptools. I ran into the same issue with
python-jupyter-packaging a while ago too[1]. I tried adding
python-setuptools as a native-input, but it failed, because of said
collision.

Cheers,
Lars

[1] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/46848#9

* Re: python: setuptools version doens’t match guix package version / packaging python-ipydatawidgets
@ 2021-11-11 21:34   ` Théo Maxime Tyburn
From: Théo Maxime Tyburn @ 2021-11-11 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Dominik Braun; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Lars,

> unfortunately our python package bundles setuptools 41.2.0, which will
> collide with python-setuptools. I ran into the same issue with
> python-jupyter-packaging a while ago too[1]. I tried adding
> python-setuptools as a native-input, but it failed, because of said
> collision.
>
> Cheers,
> Lars
>
> [1] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/46848#9

Ok I see, it makes more sense now. But then I wonder why I could package
"python-ipydatawidgets" with "python-setuptools" and
"python-jupyter-packaging" as native-inputs. I had no collision warning
but didn’t change anything in "python-jupyter-packaging" or anything.

@ 2021-11-12  7:47     ` Lars-Dominik Braun
From: Lars-Dominik Braun @ 2021-11-12  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Théo Maxime Tyburn; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Théo,

> Ok I see, it makes more sense now. But then I wonder why I could package
> "python-ipydatawidgets" with "python-setuptools" and
> "python-jupyter-packaging" as native-inputs. I had no collision warning
> but didn’t change anything in "python-jupyter-packaging" or anything.
as far as I know there are no collision checks/warnings in the build
environment. Which of the two will be picked up there merely depends on
the order of packages in PYTHONPATH. There are also no file collision
checks in `guix shell`/`guix environment`, which is why you end up with
a mix between v52 and v42 when running

	guix shell --pure python-jupyter-packaging python -- python3 -c 'import jupyter_packaging'

It fails with an ImportError for me due to the wrong setuptools
version, but works fine if I add python-setuptools to the command line,
despite python-setuptools being propagated already.

Cheers,
Lars