Hi, Am Montag, der 20. Dezember 2021, um 13:40 +03, schrieb Andrew Tropin : >>> Also, could you (or Xinglu, or Oleg) write a blog post for >>> guix.gnu.org, targeting an audience who’s not familiar with this kind >>> of tool, making it clear what the rationale is and what it can bring >>> to “normal users”? It would be really helpful to have that published >>> within a couple of weeks or so, before the next release. >> >> That sounds like a good idea, I would be happy to help! >> > > I will make a patch with skeleton of the post and will send it to you > and mailing list for review and discussion. I think it is the easiest > way to cooperate on a blog post. Cool, looking forward to it! >>> Last, it’d be great to see the three of you (and more people!) back in >>> action regarding Guix Home. I understand that life sometimes gets in >>> the way, but it seems that there’s been some confusion as to how to go >>> forward—e.g., —which may partly >>> explain why things stalled. If there are patches waiting for review, >>> also don’t hesitate to ping! >> >> Yeah, apologies for not being very active in the last few months. >> >> I think one of the problems is that there is not really any style guide >> for now to write services (I do have a WIP patch in my local tree that >> will document most of (gnu services configuration) though :-)). We also >> lack a way to properly test home services; we would need something >> similar to what Nix Home-manager has[1][2]. >> >> [1]: Nix code for configuring a program >> >> [2]: Expected content of the serialized configuration >> >> > > Yep, having a workflow for writing guix service's tests will be also > cool. I see a few files in test/services/, but it doesn't seem to have > a well-established approach, just a few functional tests. Most of the service tests seem to be in tests/, e.g., tests/ssh.scm. But since they are tests for system service, they create a VM, which is usually overkill for testing home services.