Hi Simon and all readers, I have some comments I cannot keep, just to try helping making this thread harder to follow, if possible :-D. Simon Tournier writes: [...] > For instance, Vim [1] or VSCode [2]. The frame is not “what we should > do” but “let me show you what I have”, IMHO. Well, you are free to > join the fun! :-) > [1] https://10years.guix.gnu.org/video/using-vim-for-guix-development/ [2] https://videos.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr/video/26660-cafe_guix_vscode_comme_outil_deditionmp4/ Thank you for the pointers, Simon, I already knew [1] since I have a look to 10years Guix from time to time but I missed [2]. Although I don't personally use that tools, I find that information useful when Someone™ asks me how do Something™ using tool XYZ with Guix... but I'm sure in 5 minutes I'll forget almost all, since I don't usualy use all XYZ tools. How can we decrease the effort needed by Someone™ like me to find useful informations on "how to do X with/in Guix"? 1. The "quick and dirty" solution is to use a "smart" query in a web search engine: Example query "guix write packages using vim": https://duckduckgo.com/?q=guix+write+packages+using+vim It's not very efficient since the searcher have to do some _hard_ work first to find a "smart" query and then to filter out what he really needs; last but not least to understand if that information is still relevant or someway outdated or not working for his use-case. I'd call this quite a high cognitive overhead. 2. Search one of our _official_ "Guix - Help" resources: https://guix.gnu.org/en/help/ As you can see, We™ have plenty of them, in (my personal) reverse order of information discoverability efficacy (cognitive overhead?): - IRC (logs): http://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/ - mailing lists, see: https://guix.gnu.org/en/contact/ - videos: https://guix.gnu.org/en/videos/ - wiki: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix - GNU manuals: https://gnu.org/manual - Cookbook: https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/ - GNU Guix Manual 1.4.0: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en - GNU Guix Manual (Latest): https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/ Someone™ could help integrating useful information in one of the above listed resources, for example informations like [1] and [2] should go to "videos". Each of the above listed help channels have very different contribution workflows, ranging from chatting on IRC to sending a patch to include Something™ in the cookbook or in the manual; this means that the more Someone™ would like that information to traverse that list "upward", the more will be the effort for Someone™ (Else™?) to add it... It's a path and it's /also/ fractally recursive! :-D For example, I have a feeling that many useful informations discussed in this thread have been shared in previous messages on this mailing list or IRC, wiki, videos... probably Someone™ shoud find a way to integrate them /at least/ as a blog post in https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/, if Someone™ (Else™?) find it would be helpful in reducing the overhead to do XYZ with/for Guix due to hard discoverability of that piece of useful information; sometimes that piece of information is also /very/ useful in reducing the cognitive overhead for contributors, that's recursivity (© Simon Tournier). To be cristal clear: I find that also "externally managed assets" - a blog post, a video, a tool specifically designed for "Guix integration" of tool XYZ, a Guix channel - **are** useful _contributions_, but that kind of contributions are even harder to find and/or use if not properly "integrated in Guix". Happy hacking! Gio' -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures