unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
To: Apoorv <apoorvs@tuta.io>
Cc: guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>,
	 Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr>,
	Ekaitz Zarraga <ekaitz@elenq.tech>
Subject: Re: Suggestion for a guix shell feature.
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 12:57:12 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi,

Apoorv <apoorvs@tuta.io> writes:

> OK, it was my bad I had an older copy of guix.scm file I was passing
> that, it didn't have cargo-build-system. But now I'm getting so many
> other errors related to cargo deps missing or version mismatch, I
> tried adding those deps spent like 1-2 hours but something dep was
> still missing or version mismatch, finally I gave up. I'm not sure how
> many deps I have to add like this.. this is getting way to complicated
> then it needs to be.

cargo/rust is poorly integrated in Guix, as there's some impedance
mismatch between package handling by Guix and Cargo itself, which would
rather take care of it.

I'd expect most Rust developpers using Guix only do so to provide
Rust/Cargo, and let Cargo take care of the rest.  Otherwise you'd need
to replicate the pain the cargo-build-system goes through to make it
work.

A more future-proof approach if you'd like to improve Rust integration
into Guix would be to continue integrating the 'antioxydant' build
system effort started by Maxime Devos [0], which doesn't rely on Cargo
to build Rust crates (and supports dynamic linking of Rust libraries, I
think?).

[0]  https://notabug.org/maximed/cargoless-rust-experiments

Maxim