-- Giovanni Biscuolo writes: > Hi Josselin, > > Josselin Poiret writes: > > [...] > >> One thing I would like to get rid of though is debbugs. > > given that a significant part of the Guix infrastructure is provided by > the GNU project, including the bug/issue tracker, and I don't think that > GNU will replace https://debbugs.gnu.org/ (or the forge, Savannah) with > something else, I suggest to concentrate the Guix community efforts in > giving contributors better user interfaces to Debbugs, e.g Mumi (web and > CLI) instead of trying to get rid of it. We can re-use some other tool as well, no need to code our own in Guile though. Also note that the choice of bug-tracking tool is not benign, as most other tools (Mumi, but also QA) have to adapt to its idiosyncrasies. > In other words: the "problem" it's not the tool, it's the *interface*. I don't agree: see below for the two examples of where the tool design itself is problematic. > Please also consider that if (I hope not) the Guix would decide to adopt > a different bug/issue tracker system then Someome™ will have to > administrate it, and currently there are other pieces of core > infrastructure that need more resources, e.g. QA. > > Speaking of interface features, I simply *love* the email based > interface provided by Debbugs [1]; also the web UI is not bad, and the Mumi > one (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/) it's even better. I prefer a public-inbox web frontend for browsing emails personally. >> It causes a lot of pain for everyone, eg. when sending patchsets, it >> completely breaks modern email because it insists on rewriting >> DMARC-protected headers, thus needing to also rewrite "From:" to avoid >> DMARC errors. > > I don't understand what "completely breaks modern email" means: please > could you point me to a document where this issue/bug is documented? I don't think there's a "public" discussion of this, but I've conversed with the mailman maintainers in private about this: because Debbugs relies on modifying the mail message itself, it clashes with modern email features that authentify received emails. DKIM authentifies a subset of mail headers by signing them with a private key, among which the "From" header is mandatory. DMARC is a policy mechanism for domains that can enforce DKIM (and/or SPF) for all mails with a corresponding "From:". Together, they prevent email impersonation. So Debbugs modifies a protected header (e.g. Subject) -> DKIM fails -> if DMARC is set to enforce DKIM, DMARC fails -> mail is not received. To avoid this issue, Mailman (the mailing daemon overseeing the debbugs-managed MLs) also rewrites the From: header of such mails to a debbugs-controlled domain, so that DKIM headers can be re-signed and a different DMARC policy be used. This is why you often see "via guix-patches" in From: headers, and if you look at the email it's a generic one. I've also mentioned this before, but not being able to simply send a full patchset without having to go through hoops is, put simply, a problem. Even prospective contributors used to email-based workflows will be turned off by this. In general, the problem with Debbugs is that it insists on *taking over* emails, rather than just consuming them. >> I've been following the Linux kernel development a bit closer this past >> year, and while there are things that need to improve (like knowing the >> status of a patchset in a maintainer's tree), they at least have a lot >> of tools that I think we should adopt more broadly: > > you mention: b4/lei and patchwork but they are not bug/issue trackers. Yes, I was mentioning general tools. > I personally like the idea that the bug/issue tracker is _embedded_ > (integrated?) in the DVCS used by the project, Git in Guix case. > > For this reason I find Tissue https://tissue.systemreboot.net/ an > interesting project for *public* issue/bug tracking systems, also > because Tissue is _not_ discussion-oriented: this means that > discussions are managed "somewhere else", because «It's much better to > have a clear succinct actionable issue report. This way, the issue > tracker is a list of clear actionable items rather than a mess of > unreproducible issues.» [2] I like this separation as well, and Tissue seemed interesting the last time I looked at it. I liked how it uses standard tools and can be consulted/modified off-line. It basically checks all of the boxes :) Best, -- Josselin Poiret