unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Impossible to remove all offload machines
@ 2024-08-17 16:40 Ian Eure
From: Ian Eure @ 2024-08-17 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-guix; +Cc: guix-devel

Ran into this issue last week.  If you:

- Configure some offload build machines in your operating-system
  configuration.
- Reconfigure your system.
- Remove all offload build machines.
- Reconfigure your system again.

...then various guix operations will still try to connect to
offload machines, even if you reboot the affected client.

This is caused by a bug in the `guix-activation' procedure:

   ;; ... and /etc/guix/machines.scm.
   #$(if (null? (guix-configuration-build-machines config))
         #~#f
         (guix-machines-files-installation
          #~(list #$@(guix-configuration-build-machines
           config))))

If there are no build machines defined in the configuration, no
operation is performed (#f is returned), which leaves the previous
generation’s /etc/guix/machines.scm in place.

The same issue appears to affect channels:

   ;; ... and /etc/guix/channels.scm...
   #$(and channels (install-channels-file channels))

I’d be happy to take a stab at fixing this, but I’m not certain
what
direction to go, or how much to refactor to get there. Should the
channels/machines files be removed (ignoring errors if they don’t
exist)?  Should empty files be installed?  Should that happen
inline
in `guix-activation', or in another procedure? Should the
filenames be
extracted to %variables to avoid duplicating between the two
places
they’ll be used?

If someone would like to provide answered, I would contribute a
patch.

Thanks,

 — Ian

* Re: bug#72686: Impossible to remove all offload machines
@ 2024-09-14 14:55 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2024-09-14 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Eure; +Cc: 72686, guix-devel

Hi Ian,

Ian Eure <ian@retrospec.tv> writes:

> Ran into this issue last week.  If you:
>
> - Configure some offload build machines in your operating-system
>  configuration.
> - Reconfigure your system.
> - Remove all offload build machines.
> - Reconfigure your system again.
>
> ...then various guix operations will still try to connect to offload
> machines, even if you reboot the affected client.
>
> This is caused by a bug in the `guix-activation' procedure:
>
>   ;; ... and /etc/guix/machines.scm.
>   #$(if (null? (guix-configuration-build-machines config))
>         #~#f
>         (guix-machines-files-installation
>          #~(list #$@(guix-configuration-build-machines
>           config))))
>
> If there are no build machines defined in the configuration, no
> operation is performed (#f is returned), which leaves the previous
> generation’s /etc/guix/machines.scm in place.
>
> The same issue appears to affect channels:
>
>   ;; ... and /etc/guix/channels.scm...
>   #$(and channels (install-channels-file channels))

Interesting!

> I’d be happy to take a stab at fixing this, but I’m not certain what
> direction to go, or how much to refactor to get there. Should the
> channels/machines files be removed (ignoring errors if they don’t
> exist)?  Should empty files be installed?  Should that happen inline
> in `guix-activation', or in another procedure? Should the filenames be
> extracted to %variables to avoid duplicating between the two places
> they’ll be used?
>
> If someone would like to provide answered, I would contribute a patch.

I guess the simplest would be to attempt to remove the files when there
are no offload machines or channels, in this already existing activation
procedure.  Extracting the file names to %variables sounds preferable
yes, if there's a logical place to store them that is easily shared.

A patch would be dandy!

Maxim

* Re: bug#72686: Impossible to remove all offload machines
@ 2024-09-15  3:24   ` Ian Eure
From: Ian Eure @ 2024-09-15  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: 72686, guix-devel

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Ian,
>
> Ian Eure <ian@retrospec.tv> writes:
>
>> Ran into this issue last week.  If you:
>>
>> - Configure some offload build machines in your
>> operating-system
>>  configuration.
>> - Reconfigure your system.
>> - Remove all offload build machines.
>> - Reconfigure your system again.
>>
>> ...then various guix operations will still try to connect to
>> offload
>> machines, even if you reboot the affected client.
>>
>> This is caused by a bug in the `guix-activation' procedure:
>>
>>   ;; ... and /etc/guix/machines.scm.
>>   #$(if (null? (guix-configuration-build-machines config))
>>         #~#f
>>         (guix-machines-files-installation
>>          #~(list #$@(guix-configuration-build-machines
>>           config))))
>>
>> If there are no build machines defined in the configuration, no
>> operation is performed (#f is returned), which leaves the
>> previous
>> generation’s /etc/guix/machines.scm in place.
>>
>> The same issue appears to affect channels:
>>
>>   ;; ... and /etc/guix/channels.scm...
>>   #$(and channels (install-channels-file channels))
>
> Interesting!
>
>> I’d be happy to take a stab at fixing this, but I’m not certain
>> what
>> direction to go, or how much to refactor to get there. Should
>> the
>> channels/machines files be removed (ignoring errors if they
>> don’t
>> exist)?  Should empty files be installed?  Should that happen
>> inline
>> in `guix-activation', or in another procedure? Should the
>> filenames be
>> extracted to %variables to avoid duplicating between the two
>> places
>> they’ll be used?
>>
>> If someone would like to provide answered, I would contribute a
>> patch.
>
> I guess the simplest would be to attempt to remove the files
> when there
> are no offload machines or channels, in this already existing
> activation
> procedure.  Extracting the file names to %variables sounds
> preferable
> yes, if there's a logical place to store them that is easily
> shared.

As I was putting together a patch for this, I realized there’s a
problem: if a user is *manually* managing either
/etc/guix/machines.scm or channels.scm, these files would be
deleted, which likely isn’t what they want.  The current code lets
users choose to manage these files manually or declaritively, and
there’s no way to know if the files on disk are the result of a
previous system generation or a user’s creation.  Since the
channel management is a relatively new feature, I suspect there
are quite a few folks with manually-managed channels that this
would negatively impact.  I know there was some disruption just
moving to declaritive management of channels (but I can’t find the
thread/s at the moment).

I don’t see an elegant technical solution to this.  I think the
best option is probably to say that those files should *always* be
managed through operating-system, and put a fat warning in the
channel news to update your config if they’re still handled
manually.

The only other option I can see would be to keep the existing
filenames for user configuration, and declaritively manage
different files -- like declaritive-channels.scm.  This comes with
its own set of problems, like needing to update the Guix daemon to
read and combine multiple files; and the inability to know whether
a given `channels.scm' is declaritively- or manually-managed means
a bumpy upgrade path (ex. should this preexisting channels.scm
file be left as-is, or renamed to the new name?)

I’m inclined to go with the fat-warning option, but am also
thinking this likely needs some guix-devel discussion.

What do you think?

@ 2024-09-15  3:53     ` Ian Eure
From: Ian Eure @ 2024-09-15  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: 72686, guix-devel

Hi Maxim,

> [...]

> update your config if they’re still handled manually.
>
> The only other option I can see would be to keep the existing
> filenames for user configuration, and declaritively manage
> different
> files -- like declaritive-channels.scm.  This comes with its own
> set
> of problems, like needing to update the Guix daemon to read and
> combine multiple files; and the inability to know whether a
> given
> `channels.scm' is declaritively- or manually-managed means a
> bumpy
> upgrade path (ex. should this preexisting channels.scm file be
> left
> as-is, or renamed to the new name?)
>
> I’m inclined to go with the fat-warning option, but am also
> thinking
> this likely needs some guix-devel discussion.

Disregard this, I continued thinking after sending the email (as
one does) and realized that any managed file will be a link into
the store -- so if the system is reconfigured with no
build-machines or channels *and* the corresponding file is a store
link, it should be removed; otherwise, it should remain untouched.
I can work with this.

@ 2024-09-15 19:06       ` Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2024-09-15 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Eure; +Cc: Maxim Cournoyer, 72686, guix-devel