Hello, Thank you for your feedback. Nils Gillmann writes: > Ludovic Courtès transcribed 1.9K bytes: >> Hello Diego, >> >> Diego Nicola Barbato skribis: >> >> > I have written a package definition for Inferno and I would like to know >> > if it would make sense to add it to Guix. I am asking because I am not >> > sure if it is compatible with the FSDG (bundled fonts, trademarks, ...) >> > and if it would be of any use to anyone. >> >> Removing the proprietary(?) fonts like you did sounds like the right @Ludo: The fonts I removed are copyright Bigelow & Holmes. They are licensed in a way that forbids them from being modified and distributed except as part of Inferno (or software derived from Inferno) [1]. >> thing to do. As for trademarks, please see >> >> to determine whether there’s a problem at all. @Ludo: Judging from the link there seems to be no problem with the trademarks after all. The bundled fonts (the ones I did not remove), however, are provided in a format native to Inferno (and Plan 9) and can not be rebuilt from source, which might be a problem according to this [2] thread. >> Could you also check whether all the code is GPLv2+ like the ‘license’ >> field suggests? @Ludo: According to the NOTICE files scattered through the source tree and the Inferno home page [3] different parts of Inferno are licensed under GPLv2+, LGPLv2+, Expat (MIT-template), Lucent Public License 1.02 and Freetype. Am I right to assume that I have to mention all of them in the ‘license’ field even though the NOTICE in the root of the source tree [4] says that the "collection" is governed by the GPLv2+? I could not find the Lucent Public License [5] in the (guix licenses) module. Should I add it or should I use ‘non-copyleft’? >> Do I get it right that the build result is a script that launches >> Inferno as a GNU/Linux process? It seems like it could be useful. @Ludo: That is right. I got the script from here [6]. It starts the window manager and logs in as the current user; it is supposed to provide a convenient entry point to start exploring the system. Alongside this script in %out/bin/ there is also a symlink to the emu binary which is installed by ‘mk install’ under %out/usr/inferno/Linux/386/bin/ (Linux/arm/bin on arm machines). This directory contains several other executables. I am considering making some of them (like the Limbo compiler) available under %out/bin in the same way as emu. >> Some comments about the package definition: >> >> > (build-system trivial-build-system) >> > (native-inputs `(("bash" ,bash) >> > ("coreutils" ,coreutils) >> > ("grep" ,grep) >> > ("sed" ,sed) >> > ("awk" ,gawk) >> > ("xz" ,xz) >> > ("tar" ,tar) >> > ("gcc-toolchain" ,gcc-toolchain) )) >> > (inputs `(("libx11" ,libx11) >> > ("xorgproto" ,xorgproto) >> > ("libxext" ,libxext))) >> >> Like Efraim wrote, I think using ‘gnu-build-system’ would allow you to >> simplify the package definition. @Ludo: My first attempt at writing the package definition used ‘gnu-build-system’. I switched to ‘trivial-build-system’ when I realised that most phases in %standard-phases were ill suited for building inferno. I will try to rewrite the definition using ‘gnu-build-system’. >> > ;; build mk >> > (invoke "./makemk.sh") >> >> It would be ideal if we had a separate package for ‘mk’ (I suppose it >> can run on POSIX systems, right?). @Ludo: This is Plan 9's mk (their version of make), which, I believe, can run on POSIX systems. Though, if we were to add mk to Guix, i would rather package the one provided by Plan 9 from Userspace [7] since that project seems to be more active than Inferno. > I can finish my mk package and send it in. > My mk is the canonical set of mk files as used by bmake. > Sources are from http://crufty.net/help/sjg/mk-files.htm > and/or places linked from there. > > If this matches the mk mentioned here, I can create this patch. @Nils: Your mk package seems to be unrelated to Plan 9's mk. >> Once you’ve double-checked the licensing and trademark situation, I >> think you can go ahead and submit it as a patch (or two patches, with >> ‘mk’ separately). >> >> Thanks! >> >> Ludo’. >> Greetings, Diego [1]: