Hello Guix! Starting from now, the build farm at provides lzip-compressed substitutes in addition to gzip-compressed substitutes. If your machine is running a recent Guix daemon (from the beginning of June), substitutes you obtain will more and more frequently be lzipped. Concretely, you’ll see messages like: downloading from https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/lzip/… where the “/lzip” part indicates that this is an lzip-compressed substitutes. If you’re running an older Guix daemon, lacking lzip support, there shouldn’t be any difference: you’ll download gzipped substitutes as before. However, we encourage you to upgrade your daemon. Lzip¹ compresses significantly better than gzip, so you’ll have less data to download when installing and upgrading software. For example, the Libreoffice substitute goes from 123 MiB to 89 MiB (-28%). We may turn off gzip support on our build farm in a few months; we’ll monitor gzip usage and give prior notice. Please report any issues you encounter. Ludo’. ¹ https://nongnu.org/lzip/