"Thompson, David" writes: > Great article! Thanks! :) > I spotted a typo in the first paragraph: "on a same system" should be > "on the same system." I can fix it. Out of curiosity, why is it wrong? "All users on a system..." is correct, "All users on a given system" too, so I wonder why "on a same system" would not be. What I meant here is "the same unspecified system". > 'guix environment' is a very composable command, and it's not clear to > me how I would add the stuff I want onto it and it's even less clear > if it's a good idea. Probably not. So, I wonder if maybe a new > subcommand, say 'guix develop', could address this common development > use-case while allowing 'guix environment' to continue being the swiss > army knife that it is. Some simple naming conventions could make this > tool "just work." Running 'guix develop' would check for a profile > symlink with some canonical name, for example '.guix-develop-profile'. > If it exists, it applies the environment variables and spawns a > subshell. If it doesn't exist, it looks for a 'develop.scm' file > (canonical name TBD), builds the profile, symlinks it to > '.guix-develop-profile', and then does the prior steps. The tool > would provide a mechanism to update, etc. and it could even be > expanded later to spawn services like databases. Indeed, while I worked on the article I was frustrated with the CLI, so I wrote this Emacs "hack": https://gitlab.com/emacs-guix/emacs-guix/issues/13 This is essentially what you propose, but to have it at the CLI level would provide several benefits: - More universal. - Possibly more optimized (e.g. caching). At the end of the article, I also talk about reproducibility, which is currently quite cumbersome to deploy because of the need to refer to a "specific guix channel checkout". Konrad talked about how we could possibly improve the CLI to deal with that as well: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-10/msg00511.html Both issues could be addressed the same way. Cheers! -- Pierre Neidhardt https://ambrevar.xyz/