Tobias Geerinckx-Rice writes: > Fellow Guix, > > The Guix sysadmins are considering buying shiny hardware for the > ci.guix.gnu.org build farm, and it would be awesome if that included > our first POWER9 machine(s)! > > However, few (if any) Guixers have any hands-on experience with this > architecture, let alone buying and installing whole systems. Some > remember a bad experience with a prominent vendor, and it would appear > that they're not alone[0]. > > There's also some concern that getting these machines up and running > will take significant effort. > > So please, share your expertise and experience in this area! Ideally, > we need someone to volunteer to (help) set up any new POWER9 boxes and > later take care of them when needed. It would certainly help justify > the multi-thousand-euro bill. > > Kind regards, > > T G-R > > PS: For the shorter term, I've applied for an 8-core POWER9 LE > instance (with 16 GiB of RAM) for Guix at OSUOSL[1]. Assuming that > it's accepted, it should be available within a week. > > [0]: > https://drewdevault.com/2019/09/23/RaptorCS-Blackbird-a-horror-story.html, > but read https://drewdevault.com/2019/10/10/RaptorCS-redemption.html > as well :-) > [1]: https://osuosl.org/services/powerdev/ I think it's a great idea. To test the waters, someone could try using one of these free VMs and see how Guix System does on them: https://openpowerfoundation.org/minicloud-free-openpower-cloud/ First, bootstrap binaries have to be built for the hardware, anyway, right? Maybe someone can do that work on one of those free VMs? -- Chris