unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix Home upstreaming plan
@ 2021-04-27  9:09 Andrew Tropin
From: Andrew Tropin @ 2021-04-27  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ~abcdw/rde-devel, guix-devel

There is a goal[0] to make Guix Home[1] a part of GNU Guix.  It will reduce
the duplications between projects, increase integrity and will provide
Guix users with a missing tool for declarative configuration of home
environments improving out of the box experience and allowing Guix users
on foreign distros to have Guix System-like experience.

The outline of before upstreaming checklist looks like:
* [done]        Implement a `guix home` utility and essential services.
* [in-progress] Implement a complete home environment with it [2].
* [in-progress] Run Early Adopters program, gather feedback.
* [done]        Write documentation [3].
* [in-progress] Generate documentation for each home service.
* [in-progress] Test a complete home environment on foreign distro.
* [todo]        Add tests for complex serializers and essential functions.

I don't expect upstreaming process to be fast, it will require a lot of
time for review and probably changes after review and it seems logical
to start it early, even before checklist is complete.  Also, I don't
want to replicate documenting and testing infrastracture and that is why
we will be adding docs and tests directly to guix repo (for now it's [4]),
while moving the code from rde project.

We still cleaning up things, but I hope that we can start sending
patches in a week or two.  I expect it to be a few patch series.

civodul, can we create a separate guix-home branch to work against it?

Dear Maintainers, please, let me know what you think.

[0]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-03/msg00167.html

[1]: https://sr.ht/~abcdw/rde

[2]: Complete home environment in this context is a configured and
integrated minimalistic set of apps: window manager/compositor, text
editor, vcs, mail client, web browser, key and password managers, shell.

[3]: https://guix-home.trop.in/Home-Configuration.html#Home-Configuration

[4]: https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/guix

--
Best regards,