Adam Van Ymeren writes: > On June 10, 2017 12:04:59 PM EDT, Alex Kost wrote: >> >>I also needed similar functionality, but since I didn't want to depend >>on guix modules > > > Why not depend on guix modules? I'm not a scheme/guile expert just > curious, what's the downside to depending upon guix? I can think of many problems. Conceptual problem: Guix is a package manager, not a library. It is akward to depend on a package manager, not using it for package management, but to use the data structures it provides. Size problem: Guix is not small. If you software is simple and small, depending on guix will make your software signaficantly bigger. API stability problem: Guix has no stable API. This is to make development easier. Maintaining old stuff just to keep backward compatibility requires a lot of effort. Depending on guix means your application will break if guix decides to change its data structure API.