On 2021-09-27, Mark H Weaver wrote: > Leo Famulari writes: > >> On Sat, Sep 04, 2021 at 01:32:16PM -0700, Jason Self wrote: >>> The scripts are not being removed and my understanding is that Guix >>> only uses the scripts anyway. >> >> Okay, that's great. We do use the scripts. > > Unfortunately, the older deblobbing scripts have now been removed from > the HTTPS URLs that our linux-libre build recipes fetched them from, so > I guess there will now be difficulties for users trying to reproduce any > Guix system more than about a month old. > > If we wish to preserve Guix users' ability to reproduce older systems, > we will need an 'origin' to fetch the Linux-libre deblob scripts from > that has a policy of retaining older releases, unchanged and at a fixed > location. Apparently the HTTPS URLs at > that we currently use are not suitable for that purpose. > > The Linux-libre git repository *might* be suitable, but I haven't yet > seen a commitment from the Linux-libre project that they will retain the > tags for older flawed deblobbing scripts in their repository going > forward. Without tags protecting them, I guess the commits could be > deleted by 'git-gc' even if we referenced them directly by their commit > hashes. > > Perhaps the SWH fallback is the answer we need, if they are archiving > the Linux-libre git repository. Does anyone know if they are? The most promising two I found were: https://archive.softwareheritage.org/browse/origin/directory/?origin_url=git://linux-libre.fsfla.org/releases.git https://archive.softwareheritage.org/browse/origin/directory/?origin_url=https://jxself.org/git/linux-libre.git Not sure exactly how Software Heritage handles rebased branches... live well, vagrant