Ludovic Courtès writes: > What’s the status of ‘core-updates’? What are the areas where help is > needed? > > I know a lot has happened since the last update¹, which is roughly when > I dropped the ball due to other commitments, but I’m not sure where we > are now. I haven't really been following core-updates, but I have had a look since there's a request to merge it now [1]. I'm really concerned by the commits on the branch though, assuming I'm using Git right, there are 6351 commits on the branch: git log --pretty=oneline core-updates ^master | wc -l Somehow, I think there's been a couple of pushes of commits to core-updates that have partially duplicated lots of commits from master, I put some more details in: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70456#3 I think keeping the Git commit history clean and representative is really important, so to me at least this means core-updates can't be merged to master in it's current form, even if the changes overall from these 6351 commits are reasonable. I'm really not sure how to move forward though, I had a go at trying to rebuild the branch without introducing the thousands of duplicate commits and that produced a branch with 765 commits over master, which still seems a lot, but a big improvement over 6351: https://git.cbaines.net/guix/log/?h=chris-core-updates-no-duplicates-attempt That was really hard going though, as there's plenty of merge conflicts along the way, and I'm pretty sure I solved some of them incorrectly. The resulting branch also differs from core-updates. Maybe someone with more time, care and attention could do a better job, but it might be more worthwhile just starting fresh and rather than trying to produce a like for like branch just without the thousands of duplicate commits, effectively manually rebase the branch (without the duplicate commits) on master and try to get the commits in to a usable state. Any ideas? Thanks, Chris