unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Rust-team branch status?
@ 2024-06-21  0:10 Ian Eure
From: Ian Eure @ 2024-06-21  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guixers,

I want to update the Librewolf package, but it now depends on Rust >= 1.76, which is newer than what's in master.  I see the rust-team branch has versions up to 1.77 — is there a timeline for merging that, or a TODO list of things that need to be done to merge it?  I'm not sure if I can help there, but would rather direct efforts towards getting rust updated than patching Librewolf to build with older versions.

* Re: Rust-team branch status?
@ 2024-06-21 13:18 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2024-06-21 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Eure; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 05:10:11PM -0700, Ian Eure wrote:
> Hi Guixers,
>
> I want to update the Librewolf package, but it now depends on Rust >= 1.76, which is newer than what's in master.  I see the rust-team branch has versions up to 1.77 — is there a timeline for merging that, or a TODO list of things that need to be done to merge it?  I'm not sure if I can help there, but would rather direct efforts towards getting rust updated than patching Librewolf to build with older versions.

I managed to burn myself out on rust stuff a few months ago and I'm
finally coming back to the rust-team branch.  There are still hundreds
of patches sent for the branch which I had hoped to catch-up on, but I'm
fairly certain that the branch is in a good state for merging even now.

Currently it has rust-1.77.1.  There is a newer 1.77.2 available, and
the newest version is 1.79.  After merging the current branch I hope to
be able to move the version of rust on the rust-team branch to whatever
the latest version is.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Rust-team branch status?
@ 2024-06-21 13:46   ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2024-06-21 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner, Ian Eure; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Efraim,

On Fri, Jun 21 2024, Efraim Flashner wrote:

> I managed to burn myself out on rust stuff a few months ago

Thank you for your hard work.  Rust is perhaps the most complex part in
the Guix packaging effort.

> After merging the current branch I hope to be able to move the version
> of rust on the rust-team branch to whatever the latest version is.

Please leave it for now.  It will still be there after you come back
from hiking a mountain, reading a novel, or spending time with
family---or whatever it is you do to get away.

A good weekend,
Felix

* Re: Rust-team branch status?
@ 2024-06-25 15:48   ` Ian Eure
From: Ian Eure @ 2024-06-25 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Efraim,

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 05:10:11PM -0700, Ian Eure wrote:
>> Hi Guixers,
>>
>> I want to update the Librewolf package, but it now depends on
>> Rust
>> >= 1.76, which is newer than what's in master.  I see the
>> >rust-team
>> branch has versions up to 1.77 — is there a timeline for
>> merging
>> that, or a TODO list of things that need to be done to merge
>> it?
>> I'm not sure if I can help there, but would rather direct
>> efforts
>> towards getting rust updated than patching Librewolf to build
>> with
>> older versions.
>
> I managed to burn myself out on rust stuff a few months ago and
> I'm
> finally coming back to the rust-team branch.  There are still
> hundreds
> of patches sent for the branch which I had hoped to catch-up on,
> but I'm
> fairly certain that the branch is in a good state for merging
> even now.
>
> Currently it has rust-1.77.1.  There is a newer 1.77.2
> available, and
> the newest version is 1.79.  After merging the current branch I
> hope to
> be able to move the version of rust on the rust-team branch to
> whatever
> the latest version is.

I’m very sorry to hear that you’re feeling burnt out.

Would it be reasonable to merge the newer Rust versions, without
changing the default from 1.75?  That would unblock things needing
them, without the risk of breaking packages which haven’t been
updated.

This might not work for other packages, but Guix seems to keep
nearly every version of Rust around for bootstrapping the new
ones, so I think this would work.

Thanks,

  — Ian

* Re: Rust-team branch status?
@ 2024-06-26  7:46     ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2024-06-26  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Eure; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 08:48:12AM -0700, Ian Eure wrote:
> Hi Efraim,
>
> Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:
>
> > [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> > On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 05:10:11PM -0700, Ian Eure wrote:
> > > Hi Guixers,
> > >
> > > I want to update the Librewolf package, but it now depends on Rust
> > > branch has versions up to 1.77 — is there a timeline for merging
> > > that, or a TODO list of things that need to be done to merge it?
> > > I'm not sure if I can help there, but would rather direct efforts
> > > towards getting rust updated than patching Librewolf to build with
> > > older versions.
> >
> > I managed to burn myself out on rust stuff a few months ago and I'm
> > finally coming back to the rust-team branch.  There are still hundreds
> > of patches sent for the branch which I had hoped to catch-up on, but I'm
> > fairly certain that the branch is in a good state for merging even now.
> >
> > Currently it has rust-1.77.1.  There is a newer 1.77.2 available, and
> > the newest version is 1.79.  After merging the current branch I hope to
> > be able to move the version of rust on the rust-team branch to whatever
> > the latest version is.
> >
> I’m very sorry to hear that you’re feeling burnt out.
>
> Would it be reasonable to merge the newer Rust versions, without changing
> the default from 1.75?  That would unblock things needing them, without the
> risk of breaking packages which haven’t been updated.
>
> This might not work for other packages, but Guix seems to keep nearly every
> version of Rust around for bootstrapping the new ones, so I think this would
> work.

I'll see about backporting(?) the newer rust versions from the rust-team
branch to the master branch. That way they are available for things like
librewolf even if they aren't used for the actual rust packages yet. It
shouldn't be too hard and I can make sure it doesn't cause problems on
the rust-team branch, even thought it has to wait a bit until its turn
to merge.

--

@ 2024-06-26 14:09       ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2024-06-26 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Eure, guix-devel

On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 10:46:56AM +0300, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 08:48:12AM -0700, Ian Eure wrote:
> > Hi Efraim,
> >
> > Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:
> >
> > > [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]

> > > I managed to burn myself out on rust stuff a few months ago and I'm
> > > finally coming back to the rust-team branch.  There are still hundreds
> > > of patches sent for the branch which I had hoped to catch-up on, but I'm
> > > fairly certain that the branch is in a good state for merging even now.
> > >
> > > Currently it has rust-1.77.1.  There is a newer 1.77.2 available, and
> > > the newest version is 1.79.  After merging the current branch I hope to
> > > be able to move the version of rust on the rust-team branch to whatever
> > > the latest version is.
> > >
> > I’m very sorry to hear that you’re feeling burnt out.
> >
> > Would it be reasonable to merge the newer Rust versions, without changing
> > the default from 1.75?  That would unblock things needing them, without the
> > risk of breaking packages which haven’t been updated.
> >
> > This might not work for other packages, but Guix seems to keep nearly every
> > version of Rust around for bootstrapping the new ones, so I think this would
> > work.
>
> I'll see about backporting(?) the newer rust versions from the rust-team
> branch to the master branch. That way they are available for things like
> librewolf even if they aren't used for the actual rust packages yet. It
> shouldn't be too hard and I can make sure it doesn't cause problems on
> the rust-team branch, even thought it has to wait a bit until its turn
> to merge.

I've pushed through rust-1.79 to master and I've built them on x86_64.
My fast aarch64 build machine is currently offline so I can't test there
and builds are ongoing on riscv64. The packages are public but hidden,
so they can be pulled into a package definition if required (as
rust-1.79) but can't be installed with a simple 'guix package -i rust'.

--

@ 2024-06-26 17:21         ` Ian Eure
From: Ian Eure @ 2024-06-26 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 10:46:56AM +0300, Efraim Flashner wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 08:48:12AM -0700, Ian Eure wrote:
>> > Hi Efraim,

>> > I’m very sorry to hear that you’re feeling burnt out.
>> >
>> > Would it be reasonable to merge the newer Rust versions,
>> > without changing
>> > the default from 1.75?  That would unblock things needing
>> > them, without the
>> > risk of breaking packages which haven’t been updated.
>> >
>> > This might not work for other packages, but Guix seems to
>> > keep nearly every
>> > version of Rust around for bootstrapping the new ones, so I
>> > think this would
>> > work.
>>
>> I'll see about backporting(?) the newer rust versions from the
>> rust-team
>> branch to the master branch. That way they are available for
>> things like
>> librewolf even if they aren't used for the actual rust packages
>> yet. It
>> shouldn't be too hard and I can make sure it doesn't cause
>> problems on
>> the rust-team branch, even thought it has to wait a bit until
>> its turn
>> to merge.
>
> I've pushed through rust-1.79 to master and I've built them on
> x86_64.
> My fast aarch64 build machine is currently offline so I can't
> test there
> and builds are ongoing on riscv64. The packages are public but
> hidden,
> so they can be pulled into a package definition if required (as
> rust-1.79) but can't be installed with a simple 'guix package -i
> rust'.

Wonderful, thank you very much for the quick turnaround!

I know next to nothing about Rust, but if there’s something that
would help the rust-team branch, please let met know.

Thanks,

  — Ian

* Re: Rust-team branch status?
@ 2024-06-27 12:50         ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2024-06-27 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner, Ian Eure, guix-devel

Hi Efraim,

On Wed, Jun 26 2024, Efraim Flashner wrote:

> The packages are public but hidden

Interesting!  How does that work, please?  I looked at the package
definition [1] but could not see fields that hide it.  Thanks!

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/rust.scm#n988

* Re: Rust-team branch status?
@ 2024-06-27 13:09           ` Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2024-06-27 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner; +Cc: Efraim Flashner, Ian Eure, guix-devel

Hello,

On 2024-06-27 05:50:02 -0700, Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. wrote:
> Hi Efraim,
>
> On Wed, Jun 26 2024, Efraim Flashner wrote:
>
> > The packages are public but hidden
>
> Interesting!  How does that work, please?  I looked at the package
> definition [1] but could not see fields that hide it.  Thanks!

As far as I can tell *all* versions except the "official" are hidden.  The
"base" package (rust-1.55) has this property:

    (properties '((hidden? . #t)
                  ...)

All other rusts inherit from it, therefore getting the property as well.  The
"offical" rust package (currently at 1.55) has these properties:

      (properties (append
                    (alist-delete 'hidden? (package-properties base-rust))
                    (clang-compiler-cpu-architectures "15")))

Making it install-able.

At least I think this is how it works.

Tomas

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Rust-team branch status?
@ 2024-06-27 13:47             ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2024-06-27 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)