unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* adwaita-icon-theme issue, cannot install GuixSD
@ 2017-08-02 11:27 8gw72f+eiv9z4mpir92g
From: 8gw72f+eiv9z4mpir92g @ 2017-08-02 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

I cannot install GuixSD because adwaita-icon-theme is broken (unexcepted end of file). If I'm doing guix pull, then guix fails to check (two tests are FAIL).
I'm using EFI installation with encrypted root. EFI partition doesn't have mapped-devices dependency.

----
Sent using Guerrillamail.com
Block or report abuse: https://www.guerrillamail.com//abuse/?a=RlR9HUAERqIQhC6z%2FmtRfQbA

* Re: adwaita-icon-theme issue, cannot install GuixSD
@ 2017-08-02 14:48 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2017-08-02 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

This is probably a question that should be asked on help-guix@gnu.org.
guix-devel is really more for development quesitions, not trouble shooting.

@ 2017-08-02 19:36   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-08-02 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 02:48:28PM +0000, Joshua Branson wrote:
> This is probably a question that should be asked on help-guix@gnu.org.
> guix-devel is really more for development quesitions, not trouble shooting.

Yes, but it's okay :) We can answer it here, too.

> On 08/02/2017 07:27 AM, 8gw72f+eiv9z4mpir92g@guerrillamail.com wrote:
> > I cannot install GuixSD because adwaita-icon-theme is broken (unexcepted end of file). If I'm doing guix pull, then guix fails to check (two tests are FAIL).

The first issue, with adwaita-icon-theme, can be worked around by
running whichever command failed with the '--fallback'. This will build
from source anything that failed to be downloaded.

Regarding `guix pull`, can you tell us which tests failed?

In general, my advice for installing GuixSD is to start with the
simplest GuixSD system configuration file (typically /etc/config.scm)
that you can boot the new system with. Once you've installed GuixSD, you
can edit your configuration file and reconfigure the system to include
all the bells and whistles.

I recommend this because the installation process is relatively fragile
compared to reconfiguring an installed system. So, if you make the
installation rely on the smallest number of packages and services, you
have a better chance of success.

> > I'm using EFI installation with encrypted root. EFI partition doesn't have mapped-devices dependency.

I don't have much experience with EFI. Hopefully somebody else has some
advice here.

* Re: adwaita-icon-theme issue, cannot install GuixSD
@ 2017-08-02 22:34     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-08-02 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hello,

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 02:48:28PM +0000, Joshua Branson wrote:

[...]

>> On 08/02/2017 07:27 AM, 8gw72f+eiv9z4mpir92g@guerrillamail.com wrote:
>> > I cannot install GuixSD because adwaita-icon-theme is broken (unexcepted end of file).

We discussed this on IRC and without seeing more details I can’t tell
what’s wrong.  It would be nice if the person who reported the problem
could copy the full error message (possibly taking a picture of the
screen if that’s more convenient.)

What I can tell is that there’s a substitute for x86_64 for
/gnu/store/m2kasbzay7ngzy5flmh8r4vc1igwdd7q-adwaita-icon-theme-3.24.0
(which corresponds to 0.13.0.)

There’s also a substitute for i686
(/gnu/store/qs27jxbxjpvw5bv49nzw9r91hj00r12j-adwaita-icon-theme-3.24.0) but it’s possible that it
wasn’t here before I started fiddling (unlikely though.)

> If I'm doing guix pull, then guix fails to check (two tests are FAIL).

We’ve had reports that two tests from tests/store.scm fail when run on
the unionfs of the installation image, like this one:
<https://bugs.gnu.org/27034>.  I’m not sure where that comes from, but
there’s a genuine issue here.

That said, people installing GuixSD from the image should normally get
substitutes for the ‘guix’ package.  I don’t know why they’re not
getting them here.  Apparently there are substitutes for
/gnu/store/vir3lrwqy50pr8fkaf3m091dgbrja2n6-guix-0.13.0 (x86_64-linux) and /gnu/store/xcnrc8lvq7yks3c02cpknphj3n0p2p6r-guix-0.13.0
(i686-linux).

Ludo’.