Amin Bandali writes: > Nils Gillmann writes: > >> Please read into the chromium thread or search locally through it - >> Marius already had some comments on ungoogled-chromium. Our chromium >> browser is not just chromium taken from upstream. Many (maintained) >> patches are taken and applied. > > Thanks for mentioning this. You seem to be referring to the [0] > message and the [1] package from last year, which I hadn't seen > before. > > To quote Marius, > > ,----[ Marius Bakke ] > | I actually picked most of the patches from ungoogled-chromium (which > | includes inox and iridium), but skipped "high maintenance" ones. This > | started as an attempt to package that very project, but they were > | lagging too far behind upstream IMO. > | > | FSDG problems is the reason I haven't advertised it. At the very least, > | the Google integrations should be disabled and analytics removed (but > | Chromium can't currently build without either). I think if most of the > | "FIXMEs" are resolved upstream, it might be eligible for a free distro. > | > | Now that the cat is out of the box, feel free to send patches somewhere > | and I'll incorporate them in the branch :-) > `---- > > With regards to FSDG problems, I wonder what the status is today, > considering that ungoogled-chromium's patch sets seem to have > grown a fair bit in number [2], and might be already addressing > some of the issues. > > As for the "lagging too far behind upstream" issue, that doesn't > seem to be the case anymore: looking at releases on [3] and [4] > it looks like ungoogled-chromium's latest shipped release matches > the latest released chromium version. Granted, I have noticed in > the past for ungoogled-chromium to lag behind the latest release > by a week or two, that'd still be better compared to the current > situation with respect to the current Firefox/IceWeasel release. Indeed, Ungoogled have catched up pretty well and is a viable choice nowadays. If it helps get Chromium into Guix I'm all for it.