Pierre Neidhardt writes: > Duh, I confused these with the github generated archive, sorry about > that. > > Is there any preference between git-fetch and url-fetch? url-fetch requires less bandwidth, and does not depend on 'git'. Though the most important distinction is that uploaded releases sometimes contain pre-processed sources (e.g. documentation) that need additional dependencies or scripts when building from the raw repository (this is why you often need to add autoconf, libtool & friends as inputs when building Autotools projects from git). I don't know whether there is a difference between the uploaded fmt zipball and the git repository.