unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Exact same 'call-with-temporary-directory' defined twice?
@ 2020-05-02 23:14 zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-05-02 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Dear,

The exact same function named 'call-with-temporary-directory' is
defined in the 2 files:
 - guix/utils.scm
 - guix/swh.scm
Please, could you explain what is the motivation? CIrcular dependencies?

The comment in guix/swh.scm says ';FIXME: factorize'. Does it means:
move it in the file 'guix/utils.scm'?

Best regards,
simon

* Re: Exact same 'call-with-temporary-directory' defined twice?
@ 2020-05-06 13:54 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-05-06 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

> The exact same function named 'call-with-temporary-directory' is
> defined in the 2 files:
>  - guix/utils.scm
>  - guix/swh.scm
> Please, could you explain what is the motivation? CIrcular dependencies?
>
> The comment in guix/swh.scm says ';FIXME: factorize'. Does it means:
> move it in the file 'guix/utils.scm'?

I believe the (shameful) reason is that the closure of (guix swh) is
imported no the build side and adding (guix utils) to it would pull in
too much stuff.

Ludo’.

* Re: Exact same 'call-with-temporary-directory' defined twice?
@ 2020-05-06 14:58   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-05-06 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 15:54, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> > The comment in guix/swh.scm says ';FIXME: factorize'. Does it means:
> > move it in the file 'guix/utils.scm'?
>
> I believe the (shameful) reason is that the closure of (guix swh) is
> imported no the build side and adding (guix utils) to it would pull in
> too much stuff.

I see... thank you for the explanation.

Naively: does it make sense to move it to "guix/build/utils.scm"?

Cheers,

@ 2020-05-17 21:53     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-05-17 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

> On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 15:54, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> > The comment in guix/swh.scm says ';FIXME: factorize'. Does it means:
>> > move it in the file 'guix/utils.scm'?
>>
>> I believe the (shameful) reason is that the closure of (guix swh) is
>> imported no the build side and adding (guix utils) to it would pull in
>> too much stuff.
>
> I see... thank you for the explanation.
>
> Naively: does it make sense to move it to "guix/build/utils.scm"?

No because it depends on (guix build syscalls) for ‘mkdtemp!’ and
there’s currently that assumption that (1) (guix build utils) can be
used on a statically-linked Guile, and (2) it has no dependencies.

Ludo’.

* Re: Exact same 'call-with-temporary-directory' defined twice?
@ 2020-05-20 12:10       ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-05-20 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

On Sun, 17 May 2020 at 23:53, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Naively: does it make sense to move it to "guix/build/utils.scm"?
>
> No because it depends on (guix build syscalls) for ‘mkdtemp!’ and
> there’s currently that assumption that (1) (guix build utils) can be
> used on a statically-linked Guile, and (2) it has no dependencies.

Thank you for the explanations.  I am not sure to understand the
assumption (1) but never mind.

@ 2020-05-24 20:59         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-05-24 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

> On Sun, 17 May 2020 at 23:53, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> > Naively: does it make sense to move it to "guix/build/utils.scm"?
>>
>> No because it depends on (guix build syscalls) for ‘mkdtemp!’ and
>> there’s currently that assumption that (1) (guix build utils) can be
>> used on a statically-linked Guile, and (2) it has no dependencies.
>
> Thank you for the explanations.  I am not sure to understand the
> assumption (1) but never mind.

Regarding (1): a statically-linked Guile cannot call ‘dynamic-link’ to
access libc symbols, so it cannot use FFI bindings to libc such as those
in (guix build syscalls).

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Re: Exact same 'call-with-temporary-directory' defined twice?
@ 2020-05-25 10:16           ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-05-25 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Ludo,

On Sun, 24 May 2020 at 22:59, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Regarding (1): a statically-linked Guile cannot call ‘dynamic-link’ to
> access libc symbols, so it cannot use FFI bindings to libc such as those
> in (guix build syscalls).

Thank you for the explanations.  It helps. :-)

Cheers,
simon