Hello! Brice Waegeneire skribis: > On 2021-03-03 15:13, Ludovic Courtès wrote: >>>> I’m thinking we could get rid of the mandb hook. However, the [...] > What about using mandoc¹, the manpage compiler from OpenBSD, instead of > man-db? As from it's manual it support specifying the database location: > > “makewhatis -d dir [file ...]”² I recently packaged it, but I’m not impressed; I’m not even sure how that’s supposed to work: $ guix environment --ad-hoc mandoc -- makewhatis -d /tmp/foo $(find -L ~/.guix-profile/share/man -name \*.[0-9].gz) exits successfully but does nothing. At this point my preference would be to build a custom tool (I’m not aware of any existing tool like that, but if you do, please share) that would lazily build a database, ideally full-text, and search through it; attached a super rough example that uses Guile-Xapian and inserts man-db synopses into a Xapian database. The tool would index man pages and Info pages. It would be smart enough to index only info/man files that have actually changed (it could look at the inode number to determine in a way that avoids unnecessary cache invalidation). I’m not sure how to implement this part though. It sounds like a good hack for our Xapian experts—I’m looking at you Arun, Ricardo, zimoun. :-) Thoughts? I’d really like to have a rough solution so we can remove the ‘manual-database’ hook in time for the release. Thoughts? Ludo’.