unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* `guix system image` on a local, dirty checkout
@ 2024-07-12 21:27 Attila Lendvai
From: Attila Lendvai @ 2024-07-12 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

dear Guix,

i'm trying to generate a guix image from my modified guix checkout. this is a baby step towards my ultimate goal, to add BPI-R4 support.

./pre-inst-env guix system image --system=armhf-linux -e '(begin (use-modules (gnu system) (gnu bootloader) (gnu bootloader u-boot) (gnu system install)) (operating-system (inherit installation-os) (bootloader (bootloader-configuration (bootloader u-boot-bootloader) (target #f)))))'

[...]

Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at  '/home/alendvai/workspace/guix/guix/', branch 'attila'...
Authenticating channel 'guix', commits 9edb3f6 to becd9ff (205 new commits)...
▕▊                                                                                                                                                            ▏guix system: error: commit 53074836dbe2066ef082e01e5f22d1295847a5b3 not signed by an authorized key: 69DA 8D74 F179 7AD6 7806  EE06 FEFA 9FE5 5CF6 E3CD

the commit mentioned is the commit where i add my key to the .guix-authorizations (and this is the commit that i use as channel intro commit).

is there a way to make `guix system image` work from a guix checkout that contains unauthorized commits?

or is there an equivalent of channel intro commits in this context?

or something else?

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39

* Re: `guix system image` on a local, dirty checkout
@ 2024-07-12 22:00 ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2024-07-12 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Attila Lendvai; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Not about your commit authentication problem.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 9:28 PM Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> wrote:
> add BPI-R4 support
> [...]
> ./pre-inst-env guix system image --system=armhf-linux [...]

Why using armhf instead of aarch64 for the BPI-R4 ?

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: `guix system image` on a local, dirty checkout
@ 2024-07-12 22:05   ` Attila Lendvai
From: Attila Lendvai @ 2024-07-12 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: guix-devel

> > ./pre-inst-env guix system image --system=armhf-linux [...]
>
> Why using armhf instead of aarch64 for the BPI-R4 ?

because i'm not there yet. this is my very first such endeavor.

i'm merely trying to reproduce something that i've found in a mail archive:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-12/msg00514.html

sorry about the confusion!

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39

* Re: `guix system image` on a local, dirty checkout
@ 2024-07-12 22:14 ` Richard Sent
From: Richard Sent @ 2024-07-12 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Attila Lendvai; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Attila,

Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> writes:

> is there a way to make `guix system image` work from a guix checkout that contains unauthorized commits?
>
> or is there an equivalent of channel intro commits in this context?
>
> or something else?

I believe you would have to follow a similar process as what I did at
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/71299#1.

> Testing this is also a pain as well because it involves changing the
> build daemon. In my experience the easiest way is:
>
> 1. Change the commit field for the guix package in
> package-management.scm to the commit you want to check
>
> 2. Update the url field for the guix package to
> "file:///path/to/guix/clone"
>
> 3. Forcefully disable authentication in guix/build-system/channel.scm
>
> 4. Generate an installer image via $ ./pre-inst-env guix system image
> gnu/system/install.scm --image-type=iso9660, then boot from that image
> and observe the output.

I encountered this issue because the guix daemon put into a system image
is based on the "guix" package, not the guix used to build said system
image.

If I recall correctly I disabled authentication by setting the default
authenticate? value in build-channels to #f. You might be able to get
away with just step 3 depending on what exactly you are changing in your
checkout.

--
Take it easy,
Richard Sent