unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Ian Eure <ian@retrospec.tv>
To: Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
Cc: 72686@debbugs.gnu.org, guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: bug#72686: Impossible to remove all offload machines
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2024 20:53:22 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi Maxim,

Ian Eure <ian@retrospec.tv> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> Ian Eure <ian@retrospec.tv> writes:
>>
>>> Ran into this issue last week.  If you:
>>>
>>> - Configure some offload build machines in your
>>> operating-system
>>>  configuration.
>>> - Reconfigure your system.
>>> - Remove all offload build machines.
>>> - Reconfigure your system again.
>>>
>>> ...then various guix operations will still try to connect to
>>> offload
>>> machines, even if you reboot the affected client.
>>>
>>> This is caused by a bug in the `guix-activation' procedure:
>>>
>>>   ;; ... and /etc/guix/machines.scm.
>>>   #$(if (null? (guix-configuration-build-machines config))
>>>         #~#f
>>>         (guix-machines-files-installation
>>>          #~(list #$@(guix-configuration-build-machines
>>>           config))))
>>>
>>> If there are no build machines defined in the configuration,
>>> no
>>> operation is performed (#f is returned), which leaves the
>>> previous
>>> generation’s /etc/guix/machines.scm in place.
>>>
>>> The same issue appears to affect channels:
>>>
>>>   ;; ... and /etc/guix/channels.scm...
>>>   #$(and channels (install-channels-file channels))
>>
>> Interesting!
>>
>>> I’d be happy to take a stab at fixing this, but I’m not
>>> certain
>>> what
>>> direction to go, or how much to refactor to get there. Should
>>> the
>>> channels/machines files be removed (ignoring errors if they
>>> don’t
>>> exist)?  Should empty files be installed?  Should that happen
>>> inline
>>> in `guix-activation', or in another procedure? Should the
>>> filenames
>>> be
>>> extracted to %variables to avoid duplicating between the two
>>> places
>>> they’ll be used?
>>>
>>> If someone would like to provide answered, I would contribute
>>> patch.
>>
>> I guess the simplest would be to attempt to remove the files
>> when
>> there
>> are no offload machines or channels, in this already existing
>> activation
>> procedure.  Extracting the file names to %variables sounds
>> preferable
>> yes, if there's a logical place to store them that is easily
>> shared.
>>

> As I was putting together a patch for this, I realized there’s a
> problem: if a user is *manually* managing either
> /etc/guix/machines.scm or channels.scm, these files would be
> deleted,
> which likely isn’t what they want.  The current code lets users
> choose
> to manage these files manually or declaritively, and there’s no
> way to
> [...]

Disregard this, I continued thinking after sending the email (as
one does) and realized that any managed file will be a link into
the store -- so if the system is reconfigured with no
build-machines or channels *and* the corresponding file is a store
link, it should be removed; otherwise, it should remain untouched.
I can work with this.

Thanks,

  — Ian