unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Dates set to Dec 31 1969
@ 2014-09-27 13:09 Nate Bargmann
From: Nate Bargmann @ 2014-09-27 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

As much as I'd like to be six years old again in some aspects, I'm
curious why most of the dates under /gnu/store and under ~/.guix-profile
are set to Dec 31 1969?  Yes, I know that this is just before the
beginning of the Unix epoch, which must figure into the equation in some
way.

If this is in the FM, I apologize for the noise as I haven't completed
the manual yet.

- Nate

* Re: Dates set to Dec 31 1969
@ 2014-09-27 13:30 ` David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2014-09-27 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nate Bargmann, guix-devel

Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> writes:

> As much as I'd like to be six years old again in some aspects, I'm
> curious why most of the dates under /gnu/store and under ~/.guix-profile
> are set to Dec 31 1969?  Yes, I know that this is just before the
> beginning of the Unix epoch, which must figure into the equation in some
> way.
>
> If this is in the FM, I apologize for the noise as I haven't completed
> the manual yet.

This is by design in order to have more deterministic builds.  If two
files have the same contents but have different timestamps, then they
will have different hashes.

--
David Thompson
Web Developer - Free Software Foundation - http://fsf.org

* Re: Dates set to Dec 31 1969
@ 2014-09-27 13:59   ` Nate Bargmann
From: Nate Bargmann @ 2014-09-27 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

* On 2014 27 Sep 08:32 -0500, David Thompson wrote:

> This is by design in order to have more deterministic builds.  If two
> files have the same contents but have different timestamps, then they
> will have different hashes.

Thanks, David.

That helps me understand the system a bit better.

- Nate

* Re: Dates set to Dec 31 1969
@ 2014-09-27 14:28 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-09-27 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nate Bargmann; +Cc: guix-devel

Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> skribis:

> As much as I'd like to be six years old again in some aspects, I'm
> curious why most of the dates under /gnu/store and under ~/.guix-profile
> are set to Dec 31 1969?

It should be noted that it’s actually Jan. 1st 1970 UTC.  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Dates set to Dec 31 1969
@ 2014-09-27 17:56   ` Nate Bargmann
From: Nate Bargmann @ 2014-09-27 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

* On 2014 27 Sep 09:35 -0500, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> It should be noted that it’s actually Jan. 1st 1970 UTC.  :-)

D'oh!  Indeed.  As I am six hours behind (America/Chicago) the system
rightly interprets the beginning of the epoch UTC as the prior day
here.  All these years and that never dawned on me.

One is never around this stuff so much that there isn't something new to
be learned.  :-)

- Nate

* Re: Dates set to Dec 31 1969
@ 2014-09-27 18:55     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-09-27 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nate Bargmann; +Cc: guix-devel

Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> skribis:

> * On 2014 27 Sep 09:35 -0500, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> It should be noted that it’s actually Jan. 1st 1970 UTC.  :-)
>
> D'oh!  Indeed.  As I am six hours behind (America/Chicago) the system
> rightly interprets the beginning of the epoch UTC as the prior day
> here.  All these years and that never dawned on me.

Look, people in the Americas had computers in Dec. 1969 while the rest
of the world had to wait until Jan. 1st, 1970!  :-)

Ludo’.c