unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com>
To: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Changing guix download page from using HTTP to HTTPS
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 12:26:52 +0800	[thread overview]

Hello ng0,

ng0 <contact.ng0@cryptolab.net> writes:

> On 17-03-05 23:15:25, Alex Vong wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> In the guix download page[0], it mentions "Source code for the Guix
>> System Distribution USB installation images as well as GNU Guix can be
>> found on the GNU ftp server for alpha releases:
>> http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/ (via HTTP) and
>> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/ (via FTP).".
>>
>> Should we change "http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/ (via HTTP)" to
>> "https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/ (via HTTPS)"?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alex
>>
>> [0]: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/download/
>

> The primary link should be https not ftp, I've asked about this in a
> thread which derailed and got not very much attention to the question I
> asked so far.. which was rewritting all occurences of ftp:// on the
> website to https:// for alpha.gnu.org.
> As it is, it is inaccessible for tor users. This would fix it.

This thread is exactly my respond to your thread. I use tor myself as
well, so I have exactly the same problem as you do. (But as you have
noticed, it can be easily fixed by changing 'ftp' to 'https'.) Are you
suggesting to replace all instances of 'http' and 'ftp' to 'https'? Have
you already sent a patch?