unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Diego Nicola Barbato <dnbarbato@posteo.de>
To: Nils Gillmann <ng0@n0.is>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Packaging Inferno
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 19:35:07 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello Nils,

Nils Gillmann <ng0@n0.is> writes:

> Diego Nicola Barbato transcribed 12K bytes:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thank you for your feedback.
>>
>> Nils Gillmann <ng0@n0.is> writes:
>>
>> > Ludovic Courtès transcribed 1.9K bytes:

[...snip...]

>> @Ludo:  This is Plan 9's mk (their version of make), which, I believe,
>> can run on POSIX systems.  Though, if we were to add mk to Guix, i would
>> rather package the one provided by Plan 9 from Userspace [7] since that
>> project seems to be more active than Inferno.
>>
>> > I can finish my mk package and send it in.
>> > My mk is the canonical set of mk files as used by bmake.
>> > Sources are from http://crufty.net/help/sjg/mk-files.htm
>> > and/or places linked from there.
>> >
>> > If this matches the mk mentioned here, I can create this patch.
>>
>> @Nils:  Your mk package seems to be unrelated to Plan 9's mk.
>
> Aha! I have it in 9base, which I have also packaged. At least according
> to the README in the 9base/mk/ folder it should be compatible.
>
> Now I don't know if we want all of 9base... I would leave analyis of
> that to you. If 9base on its own does not work, I can extract mk or
> create a package which just builds mk and gets rid of the other files.
>
> https://git.suckless.org/9base
>
> I haven't checked but would assume that differences exist between
> 9base (altough it states plan9 + inferno os) and inferno os mk.

AFAICT it should be possible to build inferno using 9base's mk.  In fact
I think 9base is better suited for this purpose than Plan 9 from
Userspace (plan9port), which was where I suggested we should get mk
from, since it is much smaller.

I can not tell from the source if it will be necessary to extract mk, so
I will try to build inferno using 9base's mk as soon as you send in your
patch and get back to you should I encounter any problems caused by one
of the other commands provided by 9base.

Thanks!

Diego