Hi Mark, Mark H Weaver writes: > Hi Jakob, > > zerodaysfordays@sdf.lonestar.org (Jakob L. Kreuze) writes: > >> Thanks for the input; I wasn't aware that the activation process was >> taking so long for some people. One of Ludovic's suggestions was to >> create a single derivation, rather than three, to speed up system >> activation. I'll look into this further. > > To be clear, I don't care how long it takes to build these > derivations. However, I think they should all be built before starting > to activate the system. Does that make sense? Yes, and I agree that it would be ideal to have the derivations built prior to system activation -- that way, the activation scripts could be included in 'show-what-to-build*'. > On a side note, what would happen if one of those builds failed? Would > the system activation be left half-done? Yes. You raise another very good reason for why system activation should be carried out by a single, atomic activation script :) Regards, Jakob