unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Data service: package information
@ 2020-05-06 14:19 zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-05-06 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel, Christopher Baines

Dear Chris,

I am playing with "guix search / show" ('package->recutils) and I
would like to provide 2 informations:

 1) the hyperlink to the Data Service.
 2) if the package is substituable.

The 1) is not complicated since Guix checks if hyperlinks are
supported by the terminal.  The question is: does the API is
"reliable"?

https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/<package-name>

Aside, does it make sense to add the revision number (short commit
hash, e.g., abc123) and the red (X) or the green (V) close to "More
information" to easily check the status of the derivation.  It avoids
one click when it is green. ;-)

A concrete example: recently I have tried to install Docker, which was
broken on master, so it is a couple of clicks to find the last commit
which builds.  Using this proposal, it becomes faster: "guix search
docker", click, "guix time-machine --commit=<xx> -- install docker -p
/tmp/docker".  It smooths the frustration. :-)

The 2) is a bit more complicated.  First does it make sense?  Because
the computation of a derivation is probably required, isn't it?  Well,
it is related to [1], isn't?

Is it possible to fetch such "binary availability" from the Data
Service?  If yes, how?

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-03/msg00337.html

Thank you in advance for any comment and/or pointer.

All the best,
simon

Note that from the webpage [2], the link bottom redirect with http://
without the 's'.  I do not know if it matters.

[2] http://hpc.guix.info/package/git

* Re: Data service: package information
@ 2020-05-06 17:36 ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2020-05-06 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

> I am playing with "guix search / show" ('package->recutils) and I
> would like to provide 2 informations:
>
>  1) the hyperlink to the Data Service.
>  2) if the package is substituable.
>
> The 1) is not complicated since Guix checks if hyperlinks are
> supported by the terminal.  The question is: does the API is
> "reliable"?
>
> https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/<package-name>

The URLs can be kept working for a while if that's what you mean.

> Aside, does it make sense to add the revision number (short commit
> hash, e.g., abc123) and the red (X) or the green (V) close to "More
> information" to easily check the status of the derivation.  It avoids
> one click when it is green. ;-)

I'm not sure what page this relates to?

> The 2) is a bit more complicated.  First does it make sense?  Because
> the computation of a derivation is probably required, isn't it?  Well,
> it is related to [1], isn't?
>
> Is it possible to fetch such "binary availability" from the Data
> Service?  If yes, how?
>
> [1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-03/msg00337.html

So this is something that I'd suggest doing without the Guix Data
Service. There's has-substitutes? in (guix store) to fetch the
substitute availability for a store path, and that will use the
substitute servers the user has configured, which could be completely
different to the ones the Guix Data Service knows about, so doing this
just from the users machine is more representative.

> Note that from the webpage [2], the link bottom redirect with http://
> without the 's'.  I do not know if it matters.
>
> [2] http://hpc.guix.info/package/git

I didn't think there was much value in forcing HTTPS for
data.guix.gnu.org, so it works with or without TLS currently.

Anyway, this all sounds exciting Simon. Let me know how you get on :)

Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Data service: package information
@ 2020-05-06 17:56   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-05-06 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Chris,

On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 19:36, Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> wrote:

> > Aside, does it make sense to add the revision number (short commit
> > hash, e.g., abc123) and the red (X) or the green (V) close to "More
> > information" to easily check the status of the derivation.  It avoids
> > one click when it is green. ;-)
>
> I'm not sure what page this relates to?

For example, I am going to this webpage:

https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/docker

And from that page, I have to click to say (More information) below
this 2020-04-20 20:23:33 and then I arrive to this webpage:

http://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/b023a8acd38b57b159aeeef0ac6de73960f97e8b/package/git/2.26.2

Nice! All green!! :-)

Another example, I am going to this webpage [1]:

[1] https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/docker

and say I click to (More information) below 2020-05-06 16:18:16 and
then I arrive to this webpage:

https://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/758f32afdbc6cf6018a2e76eef5085f6b693c15a/package/docker/19.03.7

Bad news! Docker is broken.  Going back to [1], now I try another
(More Information) until I find one green.

Well, to avoid to click, I would like to have the red icon (X) or the
green icon (V) close to (More information) to easily visualize which
ones I want to click.

Hope it makes sense?

> > The 2) is a bit more complicated.  First does it make sense?  Because
> > the computation of a derivation is probably required, isn't it?  Well,
> > it is related to [1], isn't?
> >
> > Is it possible to fetch such "binary availability" from the Data
> > Service?  If yes, how?
> >
> > [1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-03/msg00337.html
>
> So this is something that I'd suggest doing without the Guix Data
> Service. There's has-substitutes? in (guix store) to fetch the
> substitute availability for a store path, and that will use the
> substitute servers the user has configured, which could be completely
> different to the ones the Guix Data Service knows about, so doing this
> just from the users machine is more representative.

Cool!  Thank you for the tip.  I will give a look.

> > Note that from the webpage [2], the link bottom redirect with http://
> > without the 's'.  I do not know if it matters.
> >
> > [2] http://hpc.guix.info/package/git
>
> I didn't think there was much value in forcing HTTPS for
> data.guix.gnu.org, so it works with or without TLS currently.

For people in paranoid mode? ;-)

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Data service: package information