unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Internationalization Support for the Guix Data Service Outreachy Project
@ 2020-05-09 20:27 Daniela Lura
From: Daniela Lura @ 2020-05-09 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello everyone,

Hope you are doing well during these tough times!

I am Danjela, the intern who will be working on "Internationalization
Support for Guix Data Service" Outreachy project mentored by Christopher
Baines.

This email is to say ""Hi!" and introduce myself to the Guix community
because I haven't been really active on the mailing list.
If any queries about the project arise in the future, you can contact me by
cc-ing Christopher or just participate in this thread.
I'm really excited to start working on the project and learn more about
Guix and Guile.

Warm regards,

Danjela

* Re: Internationalization Support for the Guix Data Service Outreachy Project
@ 2020-05-09 21:26 ` Jack Hill
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jack Hill @ 2020-05-09 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniela Lura; +Cc: guix-devel

Danjela,

On Sat, 9 May 2020, Daniela Lura wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Hope you are doing well during these tough times!

Hello, and welcome to Guix!

> I am Danjela, the intern who will be working on "Internationalization Support for Guix Data Service" Outreachy project mentored by Christopher Baines.
>
> This email is to say ""Hi!" and introduce myself to the Guix community because I haven't been really active on the mailing list.
> If any queries about the project arise in the future, you can contact me by cc-ing Christopher or just participate in this thread.
> I'm really excited to start working on the project and learn more about Guix and Guile.

I haven't been involved with the Guix Data Services, but
internationalization is important work, so I'm excited that you're taking
it on.

I hope to interact with you more in the future. Hopefully we can make your
experience with Guile and Guix fun and enriching.

All the best,
Jack

* Re: Internationalization Support for the Guix Data Service Outreachy Project
@ 2020-05-09 22:13 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-05-09 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniela Lura; +Cc: guix-devel

Welcome Dan{i,j}ela!

Daniela Lura 写道:
> Hope you are doing well during these tough times!

Thank you, and I hope the same of you.

> I am Danjela, the intern who will be working on
> "Internationalization
> Support for Guix Data Service" Outreachy project mentored by
> Christopher
> Baines.

That's great news.  I agree with Jack that this is important work.

Have fun,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Internationalization Support for the Guix Data Service Outreachy Project
@ 2020-05-12 20:24 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-05-12 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniela Lura; +Cc: Guix Devel

Dear Danjela,

Welcome! :-)

> I am Danjela, the intern who will be working on "Internationalization Support for Guix Data Service" Outreachy project mentored by Christopher Baines.

Really nice!
Guix Data Service deserves love. :-)

Best regards,
simon

* Re: Internationalization Support for the Guix Data Service Outreachy Project
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-07-02 18:50 ` Daniela Lura
From: Daniela Lura @ 2020-07-02 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi everyone, :)

I'm following up to give an update on how the "Improve Internationalization
Support for Guix Data Service" Outreachy project has been going.
Translated versions of lint checkers and package synopsis and descriptions
are now present in the database and they're also available through the Guix
Data Service web interface.
They can be accessed in these pages:
Lint Warnings:
-
https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/latest-processed-revision/lint-warnings
-
https://data.guix.gnu.org/compare?base_commit=ceb233bb7642b2a7efec57073bf205b62ebd8f97&target_commit=3123cdaf7b695f3473ed2bf8c15da911d889cca3
Package Synopsis and Descriptions
-
https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/latest-processed-revision/packages
-
https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/latest-processed-revision/package/chroma/1.17?locale=en_US.utf8

The addition of locale values has also been reflected in the JSON response
for the pages where translations are available.

The availability of translated packages synopsis and descriptions for each
locale can be found here:
https://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/054153b28cea697d0439127ffdea4aadfd5c2e0a/packages-translation-availability

Here you can find an outline of the project:
https://github.com/spf50/data-service/projects/1

Hopefully these changes will make your experience using Guix Data Service
better and will help prevent exclusion as much as possible.
Looking forward to hearing your impressions and suggestions.

Best Regards,

Danjela

@ 2020-07-02 20:56   ` Bonface M. K.
From: Bonface M. K. @ 2020-07-02 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniela Lura; +Cc: guix-devel

Daniela Lura <danielaluraa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everyone, :)
>
> I'm following up to give an update on how the "Improve Internationalization Support for Guix Data Service" Outreachy project has
> been going.
> Translated versions of lint checkers and package synopsis and descriptions are now present in the database and they're also
> available through the Guix Data Service web interface.
> They can be accessed in these pages:
> Lint Warnings:
> - https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/latest-processed-revision/lint-warnings
> -
> https://data.guix.gnu.org/compare?base_commit=ceb233bb7642b2a7efec57073bf205b62ebd8f97&target_commit=3123cdaf7b695f3473ed2bf8c15da911d889cca3
> Package Synopsis and Descriptions
> - https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/latest-processed-revision/packages
> - https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/latest-processed-revision/package/chroma/1.17?locale=en_US.utf8
>
> The addition of locale values has also been reflected in the JSON response for the pages where translations are available.
>
> The availability of translated packages synopsis and descriptions for each locale can be found here:
> https://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/054153b28cea697d0439127ffdea4aadfd5c2e0a/packages-translation-availability
>
> Here you can find an outline of the project: https://github.com/spf50/data-service/projects/1
>
> Hopefully these changes will make your experience using Guix Data Service better and will help prevent exclusion as much as
> possible.

This is really dope! Is there a plan for supporting other locales? And
how are the actual translations managed? I've seen other popular projects like
antennapod(https://github.com/AntennaPod/AntennaPod) use
Transifex(https://www.transifex.com/antennapod/antennapod/) and run on a
complete volunteer basis.

--
Bonface M. K. (https://www.bonfacemunyoki.com)
One Divine Emacs To Rule Them All

* Re: Internationalization Support for the Guix Data Service Outreachy Project
@ 2020-07-13 13:32   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-07-13 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniela Lura; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Danjela,

I’m late to the party (as always when it comes to email :-)) but here’s
some feedback!

Daniela Lura <danielaluraa@gmail.com> skribis:

> I'm following up to give an update on how the "Improve Internationalization
> Support for Guix Data Service" Outreachy project has been going.
> Translated versions of lint checkers and package synopsis and descriptions
> are now present in the database and they're also available through the Guix
> Data Service web interface.
> They can be accessed in these pages:
> Lint Warnings:
> -
> https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/latest-processed-revision/lint-warnings

Nice!  Did you consider honoring the language HTTP headers of the client
to default to the user-chosen language?

[...]

> The availability of translated packages synopsis and descriptions for each
> locale can be found here:
> https://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/054153b28cea697d0439127ffdea4aadfd5c2e0a/packages-translation-availability

That’s really cool!  Well it also shows just how much translation work
is left.  ;-)

Is there a version of this URL pointing to the latest revision?  We
could link to it from the “Contributing” page of the web site.

> Here you can find an outline of the project:
> https://github.com/spf50/data-service/projects/1

Very nice to see you were able to go through all these items.

Thumbs up on the design and implementation of all these things!

Ludo’.