Julien Lepiller writes: > Why wouldn't it help? Can't you make it a trie from basename -> > complete name? If I'm looking for "libcord.so" (which is a key in the > trie), I don't think I need to look for every path. I only need to > follow the trie until I find a pointer to some structure that contains > the data I look for (ex: a list of complete filenames). Fair enough, but it's a more limited scope: here we assume the user knows the exact basename. It's a bit too limited in my opinion: - It's only too common to have shared objects ending with a .X.Y extension (where X.Y is a version), the version-less file is not always present which means a lot of trial and error on the user end just to search the right file. - It does not cover the case where I don't know the basename, e.g. if I'm looking for a FOO header file my query would look like "/include/.*foo.*". I believe it's important that the search be as general as possible. Thoughts? -- Pierre Neidhardt https://ambrevar.xyz/