unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Honeycomb LX2 ARM board, problems booting Guix
@ 2021-06-29 22:44 Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2021-06-29 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey,

I've had a Honeycomb LX2 board for a few weeks now, but I've been
struggling to get Guix installed on it.

The most success I've had is with an installer image written to either a
USB drive or nVME drive. I changed the bootloader to the
grub-efi-bootloader, using the efi-raw image type, a couple of other
tweaks, but I only get as far as Linux starting Guile and then it
promptly erroring [1].

1: https://paste.debian.net/plain/1202864

For some reason, /proc/partitions is empty, and I can't see usual things
relating to storage devices in /dev. Any ideas how this could happen,
what might I be doing wrong, or anything else I could try?

Thanks,

Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Honeycomb LX2 ARM board, problems booting Guix
@ 2021-06-29 22:57 ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2021-06-29 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines, guix-devel

On 2021-06-29, Christopher Baines wrote:
> I've had a Honeycomb LX2 board for a few weeks now, but I've been
> struggling to get Guix installed on it.
>
> The most success I've had is with an installer image written to either a
> USB drive or nVME drive. I changed the bootloader to the
> grub-efi-bootloader, using the efi-raw image type, a couple of other
> tweaks, but I only get as far as Linux starting Guile and then it
> promptly erroring [1].
>
> 1: https://paste.debian.net/plain/1202864
>
> For some reason, /proc/partitions is empty, and I can't see usual things
> relating to storage devices in /dev. Any ideas how this could happen,
> what might I be doing wrong, or anything else I could try?

Most likely missing kernel modules from the initrd, missing kernel
configuration options enabled, and/or missing support in the kernel
upstream...

Hopefully it's one of the first two; good luck module/option hunting!

live well,
  vagrant

@ 2021-06-30  0:32   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-06-30  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Vagrant Cascadian, Christopher Baines

One way to find the missing modules is to boot another distro (or maybe the installer has a lot more modules than the installed system) and look at dmesg. You might see something like:

scsi host0: ahci-sunxi
ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 mmio …

sunxi-mmc 1c12000.mmc: initialized, …
mmc0: host does not support reading read-only…

(That's from an arm board)

In that case, I added sunxi-mmc, ahci_sunxi and for some reason sd_mod. Note that naming is not consistent between guix and dmcsg, so check the filename in lib/modules of you linux-libre kernel package.

HTH!

@ 2021-07-01  0:22   ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2021-07-01  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian; +Cc: guix-devel

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> writes:

> On 2021-06-29, Christopher Baines wrote:
>> I've had a Honeycomb LX2 board for a few weeks now, but I've been
>> struggling to get Guix installed on it.
>>
>> The most success I've had is with an installer image written to either a
>> USB drive or nVME drive. I changed the bootloader to the
>> grub-efi-bootloader, using the efi-raw image type, a couple of other
>> tweaks, but I only get as far as Linux starting Guile and then it
>> promptly erroring [1].
>>
>> 1: https://paste.debian.net/plain/1202864
>>
>> For some reason, /proc/partitions is empty, and I can't see usual things
>> relating to storage devices in /dev. Any ideas how this could happen,
>> what might I be doing wrong, or anything else I could try?
>
> Most likely missing kernel modules from the initrd, missing kernel
> configuration options enabled, and/or missing support in the kernel
> upstream...
>
> Hopefully it's one of the first two; good luck module/option hunting!

Thanks for the tip, I think I've muddled through enabling relevant
things in Linux to get past the partition problem at least.

I've seemingly still got some problem getting in to the
installer/getting a tty over the serial connection, but I'll send
another email about that.

@ 2021-07-01  1:08     ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2021-07-01  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel