unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Hundreds of failed build on master following git package update
@ 2021-08-17 20:24 brice
From: brice @ 2021-08-17 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-sysadmin, guix-devel

Hello Guix,

Today I pushed 2 commits¹ related to the package to master, mainly to update it to 2.33.0. But since then https://data.guix.gnu.org/ went offline and Cuirass' evaluation #4930² has 556 failed build. Newly failed builds have unhelpful logs, ending with "cannot build missing derivation [...]"³.

Before pushing those commits, I build git and git-minimal successfully on x86_64 and assessed the total impacted package for this update to be inferior to 300. Did I do something wrong with the update commit? Or is it an unrelated issue?

I'm currently locally building some packages which have failed on the CI to see if I can reproduce them and to obtain more verbose build log.

¹ https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/?id=ea04295256329511b3201feaefb17900b05053b0
² https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/4930?status=failed
³ https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/396873/log/raw

Cheers,
- Brice

* Re: Hundreds of failed build on master following git package update
@ 2021-08-17 21:13 Sarah Morgensen
From: Sarah Morgensen @ 2021-08-17 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brice; +Cc: guix-devel, othacehe, guix-sysadmin

Hello,

brice@waegenei.re writes:

> Hello Guix,
>
> Today I pushed 2 commits¹ related to the package to master, mainly to update it to 2.33.0. But since then https://data.guix.gnu.org/ went offline and Cuirass' evaluation #4930² has 556 failed build. Newly failed builds have unhelpful logs, ending with "cannot build missing derivation [...]"³.
>
> Before pushing those commits, I build git and git-minimal successfully on x86_64 and assessed the total impacted package for this update to be inferior to 300. Did I do something wrong with the update commit? Or is it an unrelated issue?
>
> I'm currently locally building some packages which have failed on the CI to see if I can reproduce them and to obtain more verbose build log.
>
> ¹ https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/?id=ea04295256329511b3201feaefb17900b05053b0
> ² https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/4930?status=failed
> ³ https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/396873/log/raw
>
> Cheers,
> - Brice

That sounds awfully familiar.  I wonder if this is related to the
following issue?

--
Sarah

* Re: Hundreds of failed build on master following git package update
@ 2021-08-17 21:32 ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2021-08-17 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brice; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-sysadmin

brice@waegenei.re writes:

> Today I pushed 2 commits¹ related to the package to master, mainly to
> update it to 2.33.0. But since then https://data.guix.gnu.org/ went
> offline and Cuirass' evaluation #4930² has 556 failed build. Newly
> failed builds have unhelpful logs, ending with "cannot build missing
> derivation [...]"³.
>
> Before pushing those commits, I build git and git-minimal successfully
> on x86_64 and assessed the total impacted package for this update to
> be inferior to 300. Did I do something wrong with the update commit?
> Or is it an unrelated issue?

Hey,

Thanks for noticing that data.guix.gnu.org was down. I've had a look,
and the machine that runs it ran out of disk space.

I'm not quite sure why it ran out of disk space, I suspect it was maybe
excessive PostgreSQL logs... anyway, I'll get things going again and
keep an eye on it.

Once data.guix.gnu.org has caught up it will be easier to see what the
impact of this change is. I don't have any reason to think it was wrong
to make these changes.

Thanks,

Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Hundreds of failed build on master following git package update
@ 2021-08-18  7:11 ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2021-08-18  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sarah Morgensen; +Cc: guix-devel, brice, guix-sysadmin

Hello Brice & Sarah,

> That sounds awfully familiar.  I wonder if this is related to the
> following issue?

Yes, this is indeed completely related to the pointed issue. I'd like to
proceed with the patch soon so that Cuirass can recover a working
state. However, as this is a rather delicate change, it's probably
better to wait for some feedback.

Thanks,

Mathieu