Hi Efraim, Efraim Flashner writes: [...] > On the other hand, if we do manage to automate writing of commit > messages, it makes one less thing for committers to manually fix before > pushing the commit. It would be lovely! It could also be done by a client-side git hook, provided in the Guix repo and automatically installed when following the instructions on the Guix manual (sorry I miss the pointer now) so that not only committers can benefit using that script but also contributors. As usual: patches wellcome! :-) Sorry I can't contribute with this task, I really don't know ho to program such a script. All I can do is suggesting to add a git commit message template (see message id:87y1hhdnzj.fsf@xelera.eu point 4. for details) Anyway, automation does't mean that the contributor/committer can ignore the commit message content conforms to the Guix guidelines: IMO a human supervising activity is always needed, be it done by contributors before submiting a patch or by a reviewer before committing. > The last couple of contributions I pushed had green checks on > qa.guix.gnu.org and I felt at a bit of a loss what to do while > checking it over. Sorry feel I don't fully understand what do you mean. I'm guessing here... AFAIU having a green light on QA means one of the build farms succesfully built the package, I guess this is a "gree check" on a "Committer check list" before committing: actually I can't find such check list but probably it can be "extrapolated" from the checklist documented for patch submissions: https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html So, if all the items in the check list are OK, the package sould be committed to the appropriate branch. Lastly, IMO if you are committer you can go on, if you are not committer you should notify a suitable committer that all is ready for commitment. Maybe if QA would send an email notification to the bug owner (every bug related to a patch set should have an owner) about thay "green light" it could be of some help with keeping track of what can be actually merged. > After checking that it was in fact green I double-checked the > commit message and then also some of the layout of the commit and the > package itself, and made sure it passed `guix lint`. More resources for > qa.guix.gnu.org would let us build more patches more quickly. I agree, QA is a critical resource in this phase of Guix evolution. More resources IMO also means documentation... and maybe more features? I feel like we should find a way to sponsor the work on QA. Happy hacking! Gio' -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures