unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Felix Lechner via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org>
To: Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz>,
	Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com>,
	Suhail <suhail@bayesians.ca>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Debbugs update (Was: Guix Days: Patch flow discussion)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 05:57:02 -0800	[thread overview]

Hi Hartmut & Josselin,

On Mon, Feb 05 2024, Hartmut Goebel wrote:

> Am 05.02.24 um 10:39 schrieb Steve George:
>
> [order of quotations reversed]
>
> The current mail-based workflow is too complicated ... which has been
> discussed several times already without any result:

Well, that's not totally true. After hearing the plight last year, I
offered the FSF to assume responsibility for debbugs.gnu.org. [1]

I also packaged and deployed on GNU Guix

  (A) the fifteen-year old Debbugs version deployed at gnu.org [2][3][4]
  (B) the modern Debbugs version deployed at debian.org [5][6][7]
  (C) and a custom version of Mumi for my own bug fixes [8][9]

Together with the official debbugs.gnu.org, which runs on Debian 8, and
issues.guix.gnu.org, I am now working to fold all five deployments into
one.

On Tue, Feb 06 2024, Josselin Poiret wrote:

> One thing I would like to get rid of though is debbugs.

I can do little to appease the hardcore Debbugs haters, but I have a
vision for a bug tracking system that, written in GNU Guile, will
attract less wholesale criticism and more constructive contributions
from from the Emacs and Guix communities, which are the primary users of
debbugs.gnu.org.

Both groups are already in love with the lambda calculus.

Mumi made great steps in that direction but has so far not attracted the
contributions it deserves.

In another piece of the puzzle, Michael Albinus wrote and maintains an
excellent Emacs package called Debbugs.el. It allows bug work to take
place in Gnus and Org Modes [10] rather than in a web browser. With that
package, Emacs could become a favorite way to work on our bugs and
patches, similar to what Magit did for Git.

At Guix, folks also do not use Debbugs to its full potential. Git hooks
are an example. Mumi obscures some features. I know because I worked on
Debian's bugs for many years.

I am committed to Debbugs because I'm not sure interactions between
people can be audited properly on modern development forges. For many
years, I worked with Salsa, Debian's Gitlab instance. While convenient,
it was difficult to find past conversations and code snippets, although
like Josselin I'm watching what the kernel folks are doing.

The databases in forges are also complicated to maintain. Plus, projects
experience immediate vendor lock in.

My primary hurdle with modernizing Debbugs, if anyone cares, is that the
FSF is reluctant to deploy GNU Guix. They insist on Trisquel plus
Ansible [11] which is what they have been using for some time.

Thank you, everyone, for your hard work on GNU Guix!

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/help-debbugs/2023-10/msg00003.html
[2] https://debbugs.juix.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66703