unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net>
To: Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
Cc: Guix Devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Scheduling a new release?
Date: Wed, 08 May 2024 14:01:04 +0100	[thread overview]

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> Here or there, we have bugs as:
>
>     https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70659
>     https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70726
>
> And our answer looks like:
>
>         > Additionally, I strongly advise upgrading guix-daemon, as noted in the
>         > bug report above.
>
> Well, the bugs appear because the user is upgrading guix-daemon. ;-)
>
> In both cases (#70659 and #70726), it comes from a fresh install (latest
> release v1.4.0) and then the first ’guix pull’ aiming to upgrade all
> leads to that reported error.
>
> Therefore, I strongly advise upgrading latest Guix release. ;-)
>

> Although these days I do not have much free time, let make a new release
> as soon as possible.  WDYT?
>
> Who’s in?

I think it would be nice to have a new release, and indeed release more
often, I think the way to get there is for less things to be broken
between releases, such that releasing takes less effort in terms of
testing and fixing things.

To give some specific issues, I've run up against the recent issues with
nss [1][2] and I don't think we could release with the nss package as is
currently.

1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70662
2: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70663

My hope is that we can spot and potentially address issues like the ones
above prior to them affecting master, and thus be more ready to release
more often. I think the issue you raise above is also an example of
this, a breakage that we can hopefully avoid in the future (through
getting the data service to just use builtin:download, discussed in
#67250).

While releases will still require bursts of effort, I think we need a
more sustainable approach to actually achieve more frequent releases.

Chris