unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* New ‘formatting’ checker
@ 2015-08-19  9:42 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-08-19  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi!

‘guix lint’ now has a ‘formatting’ checker, which currently just checks
for tabs, trailing white space, and long lines.  The idea is to remove
the burden of checking those things from reviewers, and to avoid
frustrations caused by reviews that report trailing white space.  :-)

It’s not perfect because it doesn’t know about sexp boundaries, so it
might report about issues in the package that comes next.  It’s OK
though.

Comments welcome!

Ludo’.

* Re: New ‘formatting’ checker
@ 2015-08-19 12:22 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2015-08-19 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed 19 Aug 2015 11:42, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hi!
>
> ‘guix lint’ now has a ‘formatting’ checker, which currently just checks
> for tabs, trailing white space, and long lines.  The idea is to remove
> the burden of checking those things from reviewers, and to avoid
> frustrations caused by reviews that report trailing white space.  :-)
>
> It’s not perfect because it doesn’t know about sexp boundaries, so it
> might report about issues in the package that comes next.  It’s OK
> though.
>
> Comments welcome!

How about a git hook that runs guix lint and also checks the formatting
of commit logs?

* Re: New ‘formatting’ checker
@ 2015-08-19 22:27   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-08-19 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guix-devel

Andy Wingo <wingo@igalia.com> skribis:

> How about a git hook that runs guix lint and also checks the formatting
> of commit logs?

Having a hook that runs Guix on Savannah doesn’t really seem doable
unfortunately; however, a review bot may be even better, we’ll see.

I wouldn’t know how to check the formatting of commit logs
automatically.

Ludo’.

* Re: New ‘formatting’ checker
@ 2015-08-20  9:24     ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2015-08-20  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu 20 Aug 2015 00:27, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Andy Wingo <wingo@igalia.com> skribis:
>
>> How about a git hook that runs guix lint and also checks the formatting
>> of commit logs?
>
> Having a hook that runs Guix on Savannah doesn’t really seem doable
> unfortunately; however, a review bot may be even better, we’ll see.
>
> I wouldn’t know how to check the formatting of commit logs
> automatically.

We can have hooks locally.  Simply being able to tell contributors
"enable this hook, it will reduce your review latency" would be helpful.