unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Python2-jsonschema fails
@ 2016-01-18 10:15 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-01-18 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

on commit c3e919d in master, python2-jsonschema fails compilation:
   http://hydra.gnu.org/build/945743
This is probably due to the update in commit b3667af.

The build log shows that it is trying to download packages from pypi,
namely functools32. Maybe there is an input to be added?

It would be nice if someone more knowledgeable could have a look.

Thanks,

Andreas

* Re: Python2-jsonschema fails
@ 2016-01-18 12:55 ` Cyril Roelandt
From: Cyril Roelandt @ 2016-01-18 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 01/18/2016 11:15 AM, Andreas Enge wrote:
> The build log shows that it is trying to download packages from pypi,
> namely functools32. Maybe there is an input to be added?

Yes, but functools32 should only be added to the inputs of
python2-jsonchema, since it is a backport of a Python 3 library.

Cyril.

* Re: Python2-jsonschema fails
@ 2016-01-18 14:41   ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2016-01-18 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Roelandt; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 13:55:16 +0100
Cyril Roelandt <tipecaml@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/18/2016 11:15 AM, Andreas Enge wrote:
> > The build log shows that it is trying to download packages from pypi,
> > namely functools32. Maybe there is an input to be added?
>
> Yes, but functools32 should only be added to the inputs of
> python2-jsonchema, since it is a backport of a Python 3 library.
>
> Cyril.

Yes but it has a cascading effect through python.scm and openstack.scm

* Re: Python2-jsonschema fails
@ 2016-01-18 14:53     ` Cyril Roelandt
From: Cyril Roelandt @ 2016-01-18 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

On 01/18/2016 03:41 PM, Efraim Flashner wrote:

> Yes but it has a cascading effect through python.scm and openstack.scm

Yes, a bunch of packages will have to be rebuilt, but there is nothing
we can do about this, I'm afraid.

Cyril.

* Re: Python2-jsonschema fails
@ 2016-01-18 15:03       ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-01-18 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Roelandt; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 03:53:05PM +0100, Cyril Roelandt wrote:
> Yes, a bunch of packages will have to be rebuilt, but there is nothing
> we can do about this, I'm afraid.

I think what Efraim meant was that package-with-python2 does not work when
dealing with packages depending on python2-jsonschema. They will then not
depend on python2-jsonschema (built with python2-functools32), but on the
recursively rewritten (package-with-python2 python-jsonschema), which does
not include python2-functools32 in its inputs. We already have this rather
unpleasant problem around the numpy/matplotlib universe.

A cheating workaround would be to also add python-functools32 to the inputs
of python-jsonschema, assuming that it would be superfluous, but not
impossible, that is, not creating a conflict.

@ 2016-01-18 15:52 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2016-01-18 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 11:15:56 +0100
Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> on commit c3e919d in master, python2-jsonschema fails compilation:
>    http://hydra.gnu.org/build/945743
> This is probably due to the update in commit b3667af.
>
> The build log shows that it is trying to download packages from pypi,
> namely functools32. Maybe there is an input to be added?
>
> It would be nice if someone more knowledgeable could have a look.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andreas

This should be fixed in commit 264ae68.

Separately, python2-tempest-lib's tests are failing.

* Re: Python2-jsonschema fails
@ 2016-01-18 22:46         ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-01-18 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 04:03:34PM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 03:53:05PM +0100, Cyril Roelandt wrote:
> > Yes, a bunch of packages will have to be rebuilt, but there is nothing
> > we can do about this, I'm afraid.
>
> I think what Efraim meant was that package-with-python2 does not work when
> dealing with packages depending on python2-jsonschema. They will then not
> depend on python2-jsonschema (built with python2-functools32), but on the
> recursively rewritten (package-with-python2 python-jsonschema), which does
> not include python2-functools32 in its inputs. We already have this rather
> unpleasant problem around the numpy/matplotlib universe.

Shall we open a bug for this? It was discussed in #22013 [0] but that
specific issue was solved and the bug was closed in expectation of a
more general bug report.

> A cheating workaround would be to also add python-functools32 to the inputs
> of python-jsonschema, assuming that it would be superfluous, but not
> impossible, that is, not creating a conflict.

This "solution" is already in place throughout python.scm. I don't think
that python-setuptools is really required for many of the python-3
packages that call it as a native-input, but it eases the python-2
translation.

[0]

@ 2016-01-19  8:47           ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-01-19  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 05:46:00PM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
> Shall we open a bug for this? It was discussed in #22013 [0] but that
> specific issue was solved and the bug was closed in expectation of a
> more general bug report.

I think it would be helpful to not forget the problem.

@ 2016-01-19  9:00           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-19  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 04:03:34PM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 03:53:05PM +0100, Cyril Roelandt wrote:
>> > Yes, a bunch of packages will have to be rebuilt, but there is nothing
>> > we can do about this, I'm afraid.
>>
>> I think what Efraim meant was that package-with-python2 does not work when
>> dealing with packages depending on python2-jsonschema. They will then not
>> depend on python2-jsonschema (built with python2-functools32), but on the
>> recursively rewritten (package-with-python2 python-jsonschema), which does
>> not include python2-functools32 in its inputs. We already have this rather
>> unpleasant problem around the numpy/matplotlib universe.
>
> Shall we open a bug for this? It was discussed in #22013 [0] but that
> specific issue was solved and the bug was closed in expectation of a
> more general bug report.

Yes, please open a bug report for the more general issue.

Thanks,
Ludo’.