Hi Leo, About ordering: 1. ~/.config/guix/current is special in that it's the channel of Guix and it's installed by "guix pull" unlike other channels. Thus I don't think it belongs to GUIX_PROFILE_DIR. That said, we could introduce another environment variable for those who want to move it somewhere else. 2. Indeed profiles should be loaded in a well known order. I suggest to follow the C alphabetical order. Should "default" be sourced before the rest? Maybe not. I suggest we leave it to the user at this point. > - When GUIX_PROFILE_DIR is set, use GUIX_PROFILE_DIR/channels in `guix > pull', falling back to ~/.config/guix/current. As suggested above, "guix pull" is quite special. I don't think we should put it in GUIX_PROFILE_DIR/channels. > - When GUIX_PROFILE_DIR is set, read channels from > $GUIX_PROFILE_DIR/channels.scm, falling back to > ~/.config/guix/channels.scm. No strong opinion here, we could also leave it to ~/.config/guix/channels.scm. It's a configuration file after all. >> - Add a "-P,--profile-name NAME" command line option that >> automatically derives >> the profile path as $GUIX_PROFILE_DIR/$NAME. This would make it >> easy >> to deal with frequently-used profiles from command line, e.g. >> >> guix install -P my-gimpy-profile gimp > Could we also make this accept absolute and relative paths (the latter > prefixed with ./) to deprecate `guix environment -r'? Maybe not, since this might raise confusions, e.g. what happens when you type `-P my-profile` and there is a "my-profile" directory in the current directory? Thanks for the feedback! Cheers! -- Pierre Neidhardt https://ambrevar.xyz/