On 2022-08-24, zimoun wrote: > On Tue, 23 Aug 2022 at 15:22, Vagrant Cascadian wrote: > >> But, because there is no way to silence a particular inappropriate >> suggestion from guix lint, it becomes noise, and each person evaluating >> the results of the package in the future then needs to take time to >> figure out if guix lint is wrong, or something should be changed. > > Do you have some packages as example? In order to be concrete about the > false-positive and how to programatically fix them. Off the top of my head, no, though it came up in the course of a convesation on #guix recently, and it reminded me of advice I've gotten in the past to just ignore a particular check on a particular package. > For instance, do you mean exclude on specific checker for one specific > package? Yes, this! :) Maybe something like: (define-public thispackages (package (name "thispackages" ... (lint-overides (list ;; The upstream name is actually "This Packages", not a typo. "typo in description: 'This Packages' should be 'This Package'")) And then guix lint would hide or ignore things that would otherwise emit the strings listed in lint-overrides ... or something like that. Maybe exact match, maybe get into a little pattern matching, not sure. Implementation is not my strong point here. :) You might also want to add a guix lint check for unused overrides (e.g. something that no longer triggers the issue, either fixed upstream in guix lint itself, or some other way). > Or teach one specific checker for one specific package in > order to avoid an error specific to this package running this specific > checker? No. Maybe in some cases this might make sense, but was not what I was suggesting. >> The downside is this becomes one more thing to maintain... in exchange >> for making the output having a higher degree of relevency in "guix lint" >> output, so you can be more confident that someone hasn't already looked >> at a given issue and decided it was best to just ignore it (not that >> that will not ever happen anymore, but still). > > The cost for a poor maintenance is low compared to the benefit, IMHO. > > For instance, it is boring to run massive lint: > > 1. because “guix lint” does not support the option --manifest > 2. because “guix lint” reports some false-positive messages Yeah, my suggestion was mostly about trying to address aspects of point 2. live well, vagrant