Hi guix, I manage to break something after re-building guix using /var as localstatedir. The whole story is available below, any help will be appreciated! I used to build guix from release tarball, install it to /usr/local/ and run 'guix pull && guix package -u' to upgrade. One day, 'guix pull' became too slow for me and I decided to switch to 'git pull'. So instead of running 'guix pull && guix package -u', I chdir into the git repo and run 'git pull && make -j`nproc` && ./pre-inst-env guix package -u'. After that change, I have 2 "instances" of guix. The 1st instance comes from the release tarball, installed into /usr/local/. The 2nd instance comes from the git repo, which is not installed anywhere. To summarize, guix-demon is from the 1st instance and package definitions are from the 2nd instance. Clearly, this approach is too complicated. Today, I try to simplify things by removing the 1st instance of guix. I run 'make uninstall' to remove the 1st instance of guix. Then, I run 'make distclean && clean -fdx && git reset --hard' to clean git repo and run './bootstrap && ./configure --localstatedir=/var && make -j`nproc`' to re-build. After that, I move all guix-related files in /usr/local/var to /var and adjust the .guix-profile symlink to point to the /var/... directory. So far so good. The only problem left is how should I start guix-daemon. Well, I first chdir into the git repo, run 'su -m' to gain root privilege while preserving environment and finally starting the daemon with './pre-inst-env guix-daemon ...'. I feel like I am almost there. So with excitement, I chdir into the git repo and run './pre-inst-env guix package -u'. To my disappointment, the command fails with the following message: alexvong1995@debian:~/scm/guix$ ./pre-inst-env guix package -u substitute: Backtrace: substitute: 1 (primitive-load "/home/alexvong1995/scm/guix/scripts/gu…") substitute: In guix/ui.scm: substitute: 1352:12 0 (run-guix-command _ . _) substitute: substitute: guix/ui.scm:1352:12: In procedure run-guix-command: substitute: guix/ui.scm:1352:12: Wrong type to apply: # guix package: error: corrupt input while restoring archive from socket Does anybody know why? Cheers, Alex