Mark H Weaver writes: > LLVM is an optional input for Mesa which enables the Gallium 'llvmpipe' > driver, a fast software rasterizer that uses LLVM to do runtime code > generation. > > https://docs.mesa3d.org/gallium/drivers/llvmpipe.html > > Among other things, this allows use of the GNOME Shell on systems > without hardware support for 3D graphics. > > GTK depends on Mesa. > > ... > > Alternatively, for those who do not wish to maintain their own private > branch, here's a hybrid approach that might be workable: add a local > variant of 'mesa' with 'llvm' removed from 'inputs' (and "-Dllvm=true" > removed from the configure flags), then add a local variant of 'gtk+' > that uses your local 'mesa', and finally add a local variant of 'emacs' > that uses your local 'gtk+'. I guess those last two steps could be > replaced by deep package rewrites, although I've never used that > functionality since I prefer the more flexible "private git branch" > approach to customizing Guix to my preferences. If I understand correctly, we could have a gtk-minimal that depends on mesa-minimal which is built without LLVM. If llvmpipe is only useful for GNOME Shell and the like, it's very likely that Emacs and many other packages don't need GTK-on-LLVM. -- Pierre Neidhardt https://ambrevar.xyz/