unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de>
To: ilmu <ilmu@rishi.is>
Cc: Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name>,
	 "guix-devel@gnu.org" <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Meta guix: making money with GNU Guix: slightly off topic
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 12:10:22 -0400	[thread overview]

ilmu <ilmu@rishi.is> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> A bit crazy maybe but how about we completely redefine what money is?

Sure, why not?  That's what guix is all about.  Let's dare new things!

> I wrote "this" (the attachment or http://datalisp.is) over the weekend
> (in one sitting! very raw, sorry if it's hard to understand, feel free
> to ask me any questions).

Raw?  perhaps.  Attention grabbing introduction?  YES!

> Actually from seeing this:
>
>> Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
>> Sent from Emacs and Gnus
>> https://gnucode.me
>> https://video.hardlimit.com/accounts/joshua_branson/video-channels
>> https://propernaming.org
>> "You can have whatever you want, as long as you help
>> enough other people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar
>
> It looks like you basically have the right idea about the economics,
> the paper describes something similar (get paid by helping others find
> the proper names for things).

That's what Earl Nightinggale said too!  Something like "Money going
into your wallet is directly proportional to your service or
contribution."

> The document basically explains how to make a "cryptocurrency" that uses something like "automated science" as proof of work.
>
> Please leave preconceived notions at the door, this is not like any
> other cryptocurrency you are familiar with and the bit about automatic
> science is also slightly inaccurate, really it is hard to classify
> this idea (if it even works).
>
> However! I have access to funding and some other people and this pdf
> serves as a general overview for this (admittedly very ambitious)
> project. The first step (that I have in mind) is to make an education
> startup that teaches programming to children and teenagers, by using
> the ideas in the paper this can be automated and the network
> self-perpetuating.

I honestly have a hard time grasping the concepts you present.  My good
friend happens to be a retired CEO of several global companies.  He's
got an engineering mind.  I'll show him the paper and see if he
understands it!  :)  My jabber ID is the same as my email address.  Feel
free to communicate with me directly that way!

> I am also very interested in making a "nixos-infect" type thing for Guix and asked about that in the past on the mailing lists.

Yes please!