unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>
To: Leo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Leaving the GNU Guix community
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 13:10:48 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Léo,

I’m sad you reached the conclusion that our inability to understand each
other cannot be overcome; perhaps you’re right, though I like to believe
there’s always a way forward.  I hope we can meet each other again, in
Guix or other spaces in more favorable conditions, under less stress.

There’s a lot of food for thought in your message.  I think it’s fair to
say that maintainers and in fact most contributors have been paying
attention to welcoming people regardless of their experience level; the
manual, although technical, also strives to assume little knowledge in
the field.  We can certainly improve on both fronts, but at least this
is already a goal of the project.

You write that “the difference between the beginner and the experienced
is a construction”.  I sympathize with your rejection of the
student-professor domination.  However, I think newcomers can and should
benefit from guidance by the experienced; that’s the only way we can
truly blur the experienced/beginner distinction.  As an “experienced”
person in this project, I consider it part of my work to help others.  I
believe knowledge sharing can be achieved without it becoming a
domination relation.  That is at least what I think most people here
strive for.

Thanks again for your contributions.  I wish you the best for your
future endeavors.  We will welcome you back whenever you feel we can
work together again.

Ludo’.