Alex Kost skribis: > Ludovic Courtès (2016-09-14 16:58 +0200) wrote: > >> Hello, >> >> csanchezdll@gmail.com (Carlos Sánchez de La Lama) skribis: >> >>> I have an interesting case here. I have guile installed in my system >>> profile, so that >>> >>> /var/guix/profiles/system/profile/share/aclocal/guile.m4 >>> >>> is there. However, autoconf is installed in my *user* profile, so >>> ACLOCAL_PATH is augmented in ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile to include >>> >>> ~/.guix-profile/share/aclocal >>> >>> But not the system-profile aclocal directory, which would be put into >>> ACLOCAL_PATH by /var/guix/profiles/system/profile/etc/profile if >>> autoconf was installed in the systme profile as well. >>> >>> Is this the intended behaviour? I am wondering whether packages with >>> search paths should include both the user-profile directories and the >>> system-profile ones. >> >> I think you’re right. This was discussed at >> , leading to a patch (for GuixSD). >> >> However, we failed to build consensus around the approach of this patch, >> so we did not apply it. If you have ideas, please email >> 20255@debbugs.gnu.org. :-) > > I think I was the one who prevents the consensus. To make it clear, I'm > for the suggested solution, but only *after* giving a user a freedom to > avoid loading such a heavy command as "guix package --search-paths". On > a "usual" GNU/Linux distro a user can edit /etc/profile, but on GuixSD > it is not possible currently. That's why I think there should be > provided a possibility to override /etc/profile at first. Indeed, thanks for the reminder! In fact, we have this through ‘etc-service-type’, except that currently /etc/profile is systematically added. So an idea that comes to mind is to allow ‘etc-service-type’ to be extended with procedures that would be able to filter or otherwise change the /etc entries (similar to what we do for PAM):