Hi Simon! zimoun writes: > If you are going to an local SQL database, my two questions are: > > a) > Which part would update it? “guix pull”? Other? Even using > substitutes, the channels and co could lead to an extra cost and so what > is acceptable and what is not? I suggest fetching database updates when performing the filesearch, just like `guix size` does. The induced cost would be little in my opinion. A compressed database for a whole generation is below 10 MiB. This operation would need to be done only once per Guix generation. If we are a bit smart with timestamping and only send a diff, it could even be much, much smaller. > b) > Could you also include other fields such that “synopsis” and > “description”? Because it could speed up “guix search” without adding > (or modifying) the current cache > (~/config/guix/current/lib/package.cache); discussed at length in > #39258 . I think this is a bit beyond the scope of this patch set. I'd rather focus on files exclusively for now and proceed one step at a time :) Cheers! -- Pierre Neidhardt https://ambrevar.xyz/