zimoun writes: >> `guix-popup` is only one of the many functions of emacs-guix. I was not >> talking about it. > > About which one are you talking? Except “build” that we already > discussed above. I've raised mostly 2 issues in this conversation, the ones I've mentioned on GitLab, sorry if that was unclear :) - https://gitlab.com/emacs-geiser/geiser/-/issues/9 Geiser chokes on big outputs, so guix-devel-build-package-definition is not usable. Proposed solution: Use a non-Geiser comint mode like IELM or M-x shell. Or Eshell (not a comint-mode though). - https://gitlab.com/emacs-geiser/geiser/-/issues/11 This one can seriously hang your Emacs when calling `geiser-mode-switch-to-repl-and-enter` from a .scm of an not-fully-built Guix. I remember hitting this issue with emacs-guix, but I can't remember a recipe. So maybe this has nothing to do with emacs-guix after all, but let's keep it in mind in case it comes up again. Then I remembered another one: - https://gitlab.com/emacs-guix/emacs-guix/-/issues/8 It's unclear to me whether this one is due to Geiser or not. I can still reproduce it today. > That’s a feature as Ludo and Ricardo said. From my opinion too. > > What’s wrong with the sequence: Nothing wrong! > Ok, but that the same story as ’build’. Right? Yes. >> This is not persistence that's needed for the emacs-guix commands. > > Wait, you said « emacs-guix never relies on persistence if I'm not > mistaken. » which is wrong because everything is sent to *Guix REPL* > (Geiser) reachable with “M-x guix-switch-to-repl“ as shown above. It does not _rely_ on it, in the sense that it's not necessary, it could work very well without it. >>>> My suggestion indeed lacks persistence, but at least it works for now >>>> until we figure out something better. >>> >>> Now you convinced me that Emacs-Guix needs love. Well the “it works” in >>> « at least it works for now » is meaningless for me >> >> Why? A program that works is meaningful I believe. > > Which program are you talking about? Helm-System-Packages and Nyxt are 2 example programs that can talk to Guix reliably. Not saying we should use them instead, of course. But this technique is worth exploring to make Emacs-Guix more reliable. > Maybe. It should be addressed action by action. Instead of thrashing > Geiser. IMHO. I didn't mean to thrash (or did you mean "trash"?) Geiser, sorry if that came across this way. I just wanted to highlight some hard-to-fix (design?) issue with Geiser that come in the way of Emacs-Guix, so _in the context of Emacs Guix_, I believe that leveraging other means of communicating with Guix can be a good idea, at least for some operations like building packages. > What are the « among other things »? For instance: - https://gitlab.com/emacs-guix/emacs-guix/-/merge_requests/8 - Channels support https://gitlab.com/emacs-guix/emacs-guix/-/issues/17 The above has nothing to do with Geiser of course, as you said, the fix is love! :) Cheers! -- Pierre Neidhardt https://ambrevar.xyz/