unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Improving the quality of Python packages
@ 2021-04-09 17:08 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-04-09 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi there,

I just took it upon myself to upgrade our Jupyter / Python notebook
packages.  Some of these packages have their tests disabled because of
circular dependencies.  Unfortunately, when tests are disabled many
Python packages build fine even though they miss inputs.

Only when I enable tests Python complains about missing dependencies.

Is there a way we can improve the quality of those Python packages that
have tests disabled?  I’d like to gain more confidence in these packages
and be sure that at least all dependencies are among the inputs.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Improving the quality of Python packages
@ 2021-04-11  7:37 ` Lars-Dominik Braun
From: Lars-Dominik Braun @ 2021-04-11  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ricardo,

> Is there a way we can improve the quality of those Python packages that
> have tests disabled?  I’d like to gain more confidence in these packages
> and be sure that at least all dependencies are among the inputs.
there is a new sanity check phase on core-updates, which should solve
this problem. See 09448c0994390697e876db235a3b773311795238.

Cheers,
Lars

* Re: Improving the quality of Python packages
@ 2021-04-11 18:32   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-04-11 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Dominik Braun; +Cc: guix-devel

Lars-Dominik Braun <lars@6xq.net> writes:

> Hi Ricardo,
>
>> Is there a way we can improve the quality of those Python packages that
>> have tests disabled?  I’d like to gain more confidence in these packages
>> and be sure that at least all dependencies are among the inputs.
> there is a new sanity check phase on core-updates, which should solve
> this problem. See 09448c0994390697e876db235a3b773311795238.

Wonderful!  That’s pretty much what I hoped for.  I remember the patch
set now; thanks for reminding me!

--
Ricardo