* Substitutes from bordeaux.guix.gnu.org
@ 2021-06-07 15:19 Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2021-06-07 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey,

While I've been working on the software side of building things for
substitutes through the Guix Build Coordinator for over a year now [1],
I've only been personally pushing to bring the benefits to Guix users by
default for the last few weeks [2].

1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-04/msg00323.html
2: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-05/msg00020.html

The strategy that currently seems most feasible is to add an additional
default source of substitutes: bordeaux.guix.gnu.org.

I think things are pretty much ready, you can find some information at
https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org/ . If you're up for trying out fetching
substitutes from bordeaux.guix.gnu.org, now is a good time to do so, and
please report back in terms of how it's working out for you.

If you're interested in the infrastructure behind bordeaux.guix.gnu.org,
these are the machines which are currently involved:

 - bayfront
   - running the coordinator
   - serving the substitutes
   - building things for x86_64-linux plus i686-linux

 - harbourfront
   - building things for x86_64-linux plus i686-linux

 - milano-guix-1
   - building things for x86_64-linux plus i686-linux

 - monokuma
   - building things for aarch64-linux

 - polaris
   - sometimes building things for powerpc64le-linux

Just let me know if you have any comments or questions.

Thanks,

Chris

* Re: Substitutes from bordeaux.guix.gnu.org
@ 2021-06-07 22:28 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-06-07 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> writes:

> Hey,
>
> While I've been working on the software side of building things for
> substitutes through the Guix Build Coordinator for over a year now [1],
> I've only been personally pushing to bring the benefits to Guix users by
> default for the last few weeks [2].
>
> 1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-04/msg00323.html
> 2: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-05/msg00020.html
>
> The strategy that currently seems most feasible is to add an additional
> default source of substitutes: bordeaux.guix.gnu.org.
>
> I think things are pretty much ready, you can find some information at
> https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org/ . If you're up for trying out fetching
> substitutes from bordeaux.guix.gnu.org, now is a good time to do so, and
> please report back in terms of how it's working out for you.

For those of you like me, who have trouble setting up the signing key,
here is a snippet that you can use to set up substitutes from bordeaux.guix.gnu.org:

#BEGIN_SRC scheme
(define %my-desktop-services
  (modify-services
      %desktop-services
    (guix-service-type
     config =>
     (guix-configuration
      (inherit config)
      (substitute-urls
       (append (list "https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org/")
               %default-substitute-urls))
      (authorized-keys
       (append
        (list
         (plain-file
                     "bordeaux.guix.gnu.org.signing.key"
                     "
(public-key
 (ecc
  (curve Ed25519)
  (q #7D602902D3A2DBB83F8A0FB98602A754C5493B0B778C8D1DD4E0F41DE14DE34F#)
  )
 )"))
        %default-authorized-guix-keys))))))

(operating-system
    (services (append (list (service dhcp-client-service-type)
                            (service openssh-service-type
                                     (openssh-configuration
                                      (openssh openssh-sans-x)
                                      (port-number 2222))))
                      %my-desktop-services)))

#+END_SRC

P.S.  Thanks to Christopher for helping me set this up in irc!

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Substitutes from bordeaux.guix.gnu.org
@ 2021-06-08 13:36 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-06-08 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> skribis:

> I think things are pretty much ready, you can find some information at
> https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org/ . If you're up for trying out fetching
> substitutes from bordeaux.guix.gnu.org, now is a good time to do so, and
> please report back in terms of how it's working out for you.

Neat!

> If you're interested in the infrastructure behind bordeaux.guix.gnu.org,
> these are the machines which are currently involved:
>
>  - bayfront
>    - running the coordinator
>    - serving the substitutes
>    - building things for x86_64-linux plus i686-linux
>
>  - harbourfront
>    - building things for x86_64-linux plus i686-linux
>
>  - milano-guix-1
>    - building things for x86_64-linux plus i686-linux
>
>  - monokuma
>    - building things for aarch64-linux
>
>  - polaris
>    - sometimes building things for powerpc64le-linux

Great that all this is covered.

I would love to have a POWER9 build machine in the main/default build
farm though.  Currently there’s the OSUOSL POWER9 VM but it’s not
“plugged in” (I think because it’s a machine not “under our control”
that OSUOSL is giving us access to for a limited time, IIUC).  Maybe
more of a topic for guix-sysadmin but we’ll have to coordinate on the
use of those few scarce resources.

Thanks for the update,