unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix Home is coming in the next Guix release
@ 2021-07-03 10:32 Andrew Tropin
From: Andrew Tropin @ 2021-07-03 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

We started cleaning up and moving Guix Home from rde repository to Guix
proper.  It's expected to be included in the next release.

For people not yet familiar with it: Guix Home is a tool for managing
home envirnoment (dotfiles, user's Guix profile and user's Shepherd
services) in a declarative way, very similar to how Guix System manages
operating system.

The repository and documentation are available here:
https://sr.ht/~abcdw/rde
https://guix-home.trop.in/Home-Configuration.html

The project is under active refactoring, so the docs can be slightly
outdated.

If you already use it, don't hesitate to provide your feedback.

Have a great weekend and expect to be able to run
`guix home reconfigure` in the foreseeable future!)

--
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Guix Home is coming in the next Guix release
@ 2021-07-03 10:35 Andrew Tropin
From: Andrew Tropin @ 2021-07-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

[...]

* Re: Guix Home is coming in the next Guix release
@ 2021-07-03 18:43 ` Chris Lemmer-Webber
From: Chris Lemmer-Webber @ 2021-07-03 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Tropin; +Cc: guix-devel

Wow, this is really exciting!

May I ask, is this limited to on a per-user basis?  Is it also possible
to, say, launch shepherds which launch shepherds?

Even if not, this is a massive step forward, just wondering :)

@ 2021-07-05  5:25   ` Andrew Tropin
From: Andrew Tropin @ 2021-07-05  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Lemmer-Webber; +Cc: guix-devel

Chris Lemmer-Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> writes:

> Wow, this is really exciting!
>
> May I ask, is this limited to on a per-user basis?  Is it also possible
> to, say, launch shepherds which launch shepherds?

Not sure what you mean here)  If you can elaborate on the use case, I'll
provide more detailed answer)

@ 2021-08-03 17:06 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-08-03 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Tropin; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Tropin <andrew@trop.in> writes:

> We started cleaning up and moving Guix Home from rde repository to Guix
> proper.  It's expected to be included in the next release.
>
> For people not yet familiar with it: Guix Home is a tool for managing
> home envirnoment (dotfiles, user's Guix profile and user's Shepherd
> services) in a declarative way, very similar to how Guix System manages
> operating system.
>
> The repository and documentation are available here:
> https://sr.ht/~abcdw/rde
> https://guix-home.trop.in/Home-Configuration.html
>
> The project is under active refactoring, so the docs can be slightly
> outdated.
>
> If you already use it, don't hesitate to provide your feedback.
>
> Have a great weekend and expect to be able to run
> `guix home reconfigure` in the foreseeable future!)

Exciting!  I've glossed at yoctocell's configuration, and I'm thrilled
that I'll have something higher level to manage my software
configuration soon :-).

Thank you for working on it.

Maxim

* Re: Guix Home is coming in the next Guix release
@ 2021-08-05  5:57   ` Andrew Tropin
From: Andrew Tropin @ 2021-08-05  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel